Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Regular Contributor

Re: When You Apply.. What Income Do You Use?

webhopper wrote:
I use personal income (w2)
Child support
Rental income

Salary is 93k
Child support is 3.6k
Rental income is 24k

Here is a question i just thought about..... What if you’re a waiter or waitress? You work off of tips.. Most major restaurants do pay the waiters and waitresses but literally like 2 dollars an hour since the law says they can.. the rest is in tips... In that case, how could you prove what you really make? Some waiters and waitresses make pretty good money!

Goal: 700 and an Amex Card!

Chicks Dig Guys With Good Credit Smiley Happy
Regular Contributor

Tommy5746 wrote:

webhopper wrote:
Child support
Rental income

Salary is 93k
Child support is 3.6k
Rental income is 24k

Here is a question i just thought about..... What if you’re a waiter or waitress? You work off of tips.. Most major restaurants do pay the waiters and waitresses but literally like 2 dollars an hour since the law says they can.. the rest is in tips... In that case, how could you prove what you really make? Some waiters and waitresses make pretty good money!

Cancel that.. that was meant to go in the other thread! Haha Sorry!

Goal: 700 and an Amex Card!

Chicks Dig Guys With Good Credit Smiley Happy
Moderator Emeritus

Tips fluctuate... in that case I would average the total tip amount for two years (remember tips are.claimed on taxes)... and I would divide by 12... this is how the mortgage underwriters do it. For bonuses; I combine the total bonuses from 2 yrs and devise by 24... again this is how mortgage underwriters do it. When you apply for a mortgage

Starting Score: 08/29/2011 TU 671 EQ 674
Current Score: TU 754 EQ 694 EX 697
Wallet: NFCU Visa Sig 25k, Amex Lowes 22k, NavCheck 15k, Amex PRG, Amex Zync, Discover It 13.5k, Amazon Visa 5k
Platinum Spade Garden Club Member: App Free since 1/1/13. No more apps til who knows when?
MyFICO Fitness Goal: 800s Club!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Established Contributor

webhopper wrote:
Child support
Rental income

Salary is 93k
Child support is 3.6k
Rental income is 24k

I would strongly caution against posting specific salary information on this (or any) board. This is one of the numbers various online sites may use to verify your identity. Just FYI.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Frequent Contributor

Tommy5746 wrote:

webhopper wrote:
Child support
Rental income

Salary is 93k
Child support is 3.6k
Rental income is 24k

At most major restaurants the servers declare their cash tips daily on the point of sale system, which it adds to the credit card tips and reports on your paycheck as income. Taxes are then withheld from your paycheck based on your hourly wage and your tips, and then the tips are shown on your W-2 and your tax return.

Many restaurants avoid tip income fraud by taxing on and reporting wages plus "expected" tips based on the amount of the checks closed out.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wolf3 wrote:

Tommy5746 wrote:

RockinRay wrote:

Personal - that being said, if there is a box for "additional income", I will put my Wifes income there.

Unless you live in Wisconsin, I think this is the law now.

The law is that you have to use your personal and not your household income? I guess technically your wifes income is "other" lol but I would tend to think that other means returns from stocks... alimony etc...

What law?    

Part of the card act. You would need to research this. I have read on these boards before that you should only state your income unless there is "other income" box provided.

Open a page for an app and look to see what is said about income...

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **

Senior Contributor

RockinRay wrote:

Wolf3 wrote:

Tommy5746 wrote:

RockinRay wrote:

Personal - that being said, if there is a box for "additional income", I will put my Wifes income there.

The law is that you have to use your personal and not your household income? I guess technically your wifes income is "other" lol but I would tend to think that other means returns from stocks... alimony etc...

What law?    

Part of the card act. You would need to research this. I have read on these boards before that you should only state your income unless there is "other income" box provided.

I just took a look at the Card Act of 2009.    The only related provision is that proof of income or cosign is required for applicants under 21.  I can find no provision that has anything to do with personal or household income.

So each creditor may have a policy, but it is not part of the Card Act.

Frequent Contributor

when i app'd with BofA and Chase in 2008, both asked for "your gross income" - there was also a box for "household income"

last weekend when i app'd with BofA (for BankAmericard Signature VISA), there was no box asking for household income.

do any app's still have a box for household income?

BofA visa $9.4k ... BofA Cash Rewards visa sig $10k ... Cap 1 Venture1 visa sig $10k ...
Chase Freedom visa $10k ... Macy's $1.5k ... Macy's Amex $5k ... Sam's Club $6.3k
myFICOs as of 3/25/14:...EX=809 .... EQ=802....TU=787
Regular Contributor

SwampSystems wrote:

Tommy5746 wrote:

webhopper wrote:
Child support
Rental income

Salary is 93k
Child support is 3.6k
Rental income is 24k

At most major restaurants the servers declare their cash tips daily on the point of sale system, which it adds to the credit card tips and reports on your paycheck as income. Taxes are then withheld from your paycheck based on your hourly wage and your tips, and then the tips are shown on your W-2 and your tax return.

Many restaurants avoid tip income fraud by taxing on and reporting wages plus "expected" tips based on the amount of the checks closed out.

this is spot on correct. I own and operate a full service restaurant. Expected tips are usually set to around 10 percent of their CASH tickets. The CC Vouchers are automatically claimed through the POS (point of sale) terminal. Obviously this figure (10%) can change - Im not sure what different restaurant chains select but obviously the more you claim the higher your W2.

And just so I am keeping the thread on topic - I pay myself a salary through work and use that figure only on the application. Makes it easy if any CC company bounces back and asks for paycheck stubs.

American Express Green - NPSL, Sams Club Discover - 4000, Paypal Smart Connect - 4000, Capital One - 3500, Barclaycard Visa - 2500, Walmart - 1500, Discover IT - 1000, Ashley Furniture Home Store - 1000, Care Credit - 1000.
Valued Contributor

Wolf3 wrote:

RockinRay wrote:

Wolf3 wrote:

Tommy5746 wrote:

RockinRay wrote:

What law?    

I just took a look at the Card Act of 2009.    The only related provision is that proof of income or cosign is required for applicants under 21.  I can find no provision that has anything to do with personal or household income.

So each creditor may have a policy, but it is not part of the Card Act.

Cool - thanks for clearing this up! I stand corrected.  Smiley Embarassed

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.