Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When am I clear of 5/24?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: When am I clear of 5/24?

The answer is simple so I don't know why you're trying to complicate things.

Count back 2 years from today.  Did you open 5 or more credit cards withing that period?  If you did then you're not under 5/24.

Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The answer is simple so I don't know why you're trying to complicate things.

Count back 2 years from today.  Did you open 5 or more credit cards withing that period?  If you did then you're not under 5/24.

Have to agree.  Far too many make it more complicated than it needs to be.  Closing cards doesn’t matter, HPs don’t matter, CLIs don’tmatter .  The only thing that matters is when was the last time you opened any new revolving credit account (and that includes lines of credit and store cards) that report to the CRAs.  If you want to apply for another Chase card that is subject to the 5/24 ‘rule’ (Amazon Visa is not), then you have to be at 4/24 when you apply.

Message 12 of 18
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

The only nuance is that, once you hit the 24 month anniversary of the oldest card of the 5, you have to wait until the first of the next month, so 24 months could become 24.5 months.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 13 of 18
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Dont forget .... AU accounts count

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sweet. I thought that maybe since I closed my first card then it would throw off my 5/24. Thanks guys.

Message 15 of 18
My_Fako
Established Contributor

I think installment loans count as well. I could be wrong...
Amex PRG NPSL I Chase Marriott $10k I Venture $15.3k I Amex BCE $10K I PNC 13K I Chase IHG $8.6k l Amazon $6k l Chase Hyatt 20k l US Bank Cash+ $13K I Barclays $12.6k I Venture $13k l Discover it $4.6k l Express Next $3.1k l Amex EverDay $15K l Cabelas 1k I Wayfair $17.1k I Walmart $8k l SG $9.8k l Target $3.6K I PP 2K l AU Shell Gas $900 opened in 1974 l Ex 704 Tu 698 Eq 667

Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for.
Message 16 of 18
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@My_Fako wrote:

That was a YMMV situation from my understanding but yes it could possibly count against you. I'm assuming that would something you could recon if it came up though.

Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@My_Fako wrote:

Mortgages, auto loans, personal loans and other installment loans that have set payment periods and amounts don't count btowards 5/24 ecause they are classified differently than revolving credit accounts which don't have defined payments in terms of amount or timing.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.