Established Contributor
glamchick

When applying for CLI does your balance matter?

I am getting ready to apply for a CLI with FPB does the balance on my card matter when applying?

I will pay it off at the end of the month but its close to my limit.

Starting Score: 501
Current Score: 589/598
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Senior Contributor
FretlessMayhem

Re: When applying for CLI does your balance matter?

I think it depends on the lender that issues the card. I know Citi HATES having a balance on the card when asking for a CLI.

I got several increases from FP while running a high balance on the card. I don't think it matters so much to them.
Here we go again...
Super Contributor
MidnightVoice

Personally I don't do it until I have at least piffed the current balance
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Regular Contributor
turbowrx

You would think that having a low balance would help be the key, but I'm not sure.  I asked for a CLI on a BOA card and I had a $20 balance, perfect history... declined.  My girlfriend who also has perfect history got an increase with here BOA card maxed out. Go figure....
I guess they think sometimes, the person that spends a lot should get the CLI so as to owe them more money.
Contributor
Chazman

I can't think of an instance where it couldn't hurt having a low (< 10%).  Everytime I've gotten  a CLI I've zeroed the account out just prior.  Every time I had a CLI declined, I left the balance as is.
Regular Contributor
robertkinder

I think this remains one of the great credit card mysteries :smileysurprised: I believe every company is different, and then when you figure one of them out they will change to spite yah :smileymad:
Starting Score: EQ450 TU478 EX485 5/1/05 Current Score: EQ: 600 TU: 617 EX: 624 11/20/14 Goal: 700 by 6/2/15

In the Garden until 7-3-14 / Last APP of a mega spree for the ages! 12-26-14

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}