cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When applying for CLI does your balance matter?

tag
glamchick
Established Contributor

When applying for CLI does your balance matter?

I am getting ready to apply for a CLI with FPB does the balance on my card matter when applying?

I will pay it off at the end of the month but its close to my limit.
Gardening since 5/3/2016
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Re: When applying for CLI does your balance matter?

I think it depends on the lender that issues the card. I know Citi HATES having a balance on the card when asking for a CLI.

I got several increases from FP while running a high balance on the card. I don't think it matters so much to them.
Here we go again...
Message 2 of 6
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Personally I don't do it until I have at least piffed the current balance
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

You would think that having a low balance would help be the key, but I'm not sure.  I asked for a CLI on a BOA card and I had a $20 balance, perfect history... declined.  My girlfriend who also has perfect history got an increase with here BOA card maxed out. Go figure....
I guess they think sometimes, the person that spends a lot should get the CLI so as to owe them more money.
Message 4 of 6
Chazman
Contributor

I can't think of an instance where it couldn't hurt having a low (< 10%).  Everytime I've gotten  a CLI I've zeroed the account out just prior.  Every time I had a CLI declined, I left the balance as is.
Message 5 of 6
App_Addict
Valued Contributor

I think this remains one of the great credit card mysteries Smiley Surprised I believe every company is different, and then when you figure one of them out they will change to spite yah Smiley Mad
CURRENT SCORES: TU: 698 21 Apps / EX: 644 28 Apps / AAoA: 4.4 Yrs. / Util. 5% / Goal: 750 by 12/22

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.