Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When can i upgrade my Amex charge

tag
anderl
Frequent Contributor

When can i upgrade my Amex charge

I've had my Amex Gold for 5mnths.now- everytime I log on to my account and look at other cards the Upgrade Now button pops up to upgrade to The Platinum Amex- i've tried to upgrade twice and it says that my card does not qualify for an upgrade at this current time-how long till i'm able to upgrade?Smiley Very Happy

Amex Platinum Charge(NPSL); Starwood Amex Preferred CC(20K CL); Diners Club ELITE MC(20K);Diners Club Premier MC(20K,could've sworn the rep said 25k, oh well lol);Delta Amex Reserve CC(21K CL); Amex PRG Charge(NPSL); United Presidential Plus Chase World Elite MC (15K CL); AARP Chase Visa Signature(35K CL); NFCU Visa Platinum(20K CL) NFCU LOC(15K); NFCU Go Rewards MC(17.5K); Disover IT 7.8K;
First Tech Federal Visa Platinum(15K CL); Simmons First Visa Platinum(9K CL); Wells Fargo Visa Platinum(7.5K CL); CitiBank Sears MC(6K CL); JCPenney Card(7.5K CL); Lowes(2.5K CL);Barclays Mile & More Lufthansa 12.5K.
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
ALP
New Contributor

Re: When can i upgrade my Amex charge

I believe, due to the card act, you must wait 1 year to upgrade or switch without it being considered a "new account".   

I may be wrong and I don't have the source so hopefully you'll get a better answer from one of our experienced forum members.  Smiley Wink

Starting Score: 610
Current Score: 676
TU: 678
Goal Score: 740

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 19
MrShush
Valued Contributor

I've often wondered this myself. I don't want to call them either. I've had the offer to upgrade to the Golds and Platinum but I get the same message and for me to call to apply.

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

The account has to be open for a full 12 months to be in compliance w the new laws before a higher fee product can be issued. So upgrades are available in the 13th month.
Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

So you are saying that my Freedom to upgrade my CC has been taken away by Obama? As a consumer I should be able to elect to have my CC upgraded and pay a higher fee at my choosing. 

Message 5 of 19
DI
Super Contributor

Pre approvals for  Gold, Green and Zync are showing when I log in.  Will they ever pre approve me for cards with no AFs?

Message 6 of 19
android01
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
The account has to be open for a full 12 months to be in compliance w the new laws before a higher fee product can be issued. So upgrades are available in the 13th month.

I wonder how backdated AMEX accounts would work with upgrades.  I opened a gold Delta Skymiles account in December.  This "new" account is backdated to 1986.  AMEX keeps making offers to upgrade to one of the higher fee Delta cards. 

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@android01 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I wonder how backdated AMEX accounts would work with upgrades.  I opened a gold Delta Skymiles account in December.  This "new" account is backdated to 1986.  AMEX keeps making offers to upgrade to one of the higher fee Delta cards. 

Even tho the account is backdated on your report to 1986, it was legally opened in Dec so you won't be able to upgrade till Jan 2012. If you try to upgrade through the site you eventually will get one of the not eligible messages.

edited to quote

Message 8 of 19
jefftca925
Established Contributor

just out of curiosity... and based on other folks experience with Amex... when is a good time to apply for a second card? I just received my Green and I'd love to get the TE Costco card for gas and daily expenses.  Their gas prices are the cheapest in my area (over $4/gal now...can you believe it???) and I go there all the time as the store is 5 minutes from work.  Plus a second card would totally help my AAoA (member since 1982).  I've used the green card a few times already and LOVE the fact that I can see pending charges on the website almost immediately.

CCs: Chase Freedom VS 12.9k, CSP VISA Sg 13k, BofA Amex 24.5k, Discover 12.5k, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sg 17k, Macy's Amex 8k/1.5k, Gap Visa 10k, Best Buy 11.1k, Citi TY MC 10.8k, Citi AA Amex 6k, Nordstrom VS 10k, Costco Amex 12k, BofA CR VS 5k, Amex BCP 13.5k, Amex ED 5k, Sears MC 9k, HD 7k, Target 600, Amazon 7k, US Bank MC 15k, US Airways MC 8k, NFL Visa 4k, Patelco Visa 10k, Penfed PR VS 44.6k, Chase Hyatt VS 8k, Citi Simplicity 13.3k, PayPal MC 7.5k, BBVA Visa 4k, WF VS 14k, FNBO Amex 14.1k, OCCU VISA 15k, TR Visa Sg 16.3k, C1 QS Visa 11k, FRN MC 15k, HSN 4k, Saks WEMC 10k/4k, Chase Ink 18k, Arrival WEMC 10k, Ebates VS 8k, Orbitz VS 12k, NASA V 30k, USBk FP VS 21.5k, DC 30k, VirgAm 15k, Sams MC 15k, Amex Bz Gold, Amex SC 10k, BofW Bz MC 18k
Message 9 of 19
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

I'm getting Plum pre-approvals now, despite the fact that I've never given them indication that I have any kind of business.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.