cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When can we expect Costco to accept Apple Pay?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: When can we expect United to accept Apple Pay?

And when will I be able to put my MileagePlus on Apple pay Smiley Tongue

Message 11 of 25
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: When can we expect United to accept Apple Pay?

Just a friendly reminder to post similar topics in the same thread if it's the same idea. Smiley Wink Thank you... Smiley Happy
Message 12 of 25
slicemans
Regular Contributor

Re: When can we expect Costco to accept Apple Pay?

Dont expect it anytime soon

Message 13 of 25
yfan
Valued Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@yfan wrote:
I think that guess you linked to is as good as any. In addition, mobile payments aren't something merchants are rushing to in general, and even Apple can't move that trend much. Costco can, however, adopt a Starbucks-like model, where you charge a Costco cash card that links to an app, which they then scan.

which requires the average Costco customer to pre-load their "Costco card" with $200 or $400 of funds in order to use the terminal scanner instead of an AMEX card or straight cash for their once a week or once a month Costco run? (never mind that Costco would then have to start a payment processing system of their own to issue cards, manage the banking of those funds, track balances, all of which cost money)

yeah, that would be a No to that one also. Sorry.

You're right, but I wasn't suggesting that as the exclusive method of payment they accept. That's why I pointed to the Starbucks model... you can load up their card, or you can pay with a credit card at the counter.

Message 14 of 25
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

IMO apple pay isn't going to take off like apple is hoping or some people think.  NFC payments have been around for quite a long time and not alot of people have adopted them and I don't see that changing just due to apple pay.  There are many players in the game.  If I owned any store that took credit cards, why would I want to accept apple pay, unless I got a kick back.. Just extra money for me with a terminal that can support it.

Message 15 of 25
nyancat
Established Contributor

Costco now has the hardware, at least at my store, it's just disabled. Accepting it would be simple, so who knows - ask them to if you want it!

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 16 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

BTW Costco also accepts regular Visa/MC debit cards, not just AmEx. And Apple Pay sends the actual AmEx or debit card to the terminal (just different card number), so it shouldn't be any different from a normal credit card transaction.

Message 17 of 25
nyancat
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

BTW Costco also accepts regular Visa/MC debit cards, not just AmEx. And Apple Pay sends the actual AmEx or debit card to the terminal (just different card number), so it shouldn't be any different from a normal credit card transaction.

Do they really accept Visa and Mastercard debit? I thought they didn't accept Visa and Mastercard at all.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 18 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@nyancat wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Do they really accept Visa and Mastercard debit? I thought they didn't accept Visa and Mastercard at all.

http://www.costco.com/member-privileges-conditions.html:

We welcome cash,* checks,* debit/ATM cards,** Costco Cash Cards, Costco Credit Cards**, EBT Cards and American Express Cards.** Checks may require picture identification and approval by a supervisor or manager.
* Not accepted at Costco Gas Stations.
** Not accepted at Costco Food Courts.

Message 19 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also if they ever turn on NFC, this means that in theory you can actually use any credit card (since Google Wallet will be treated like a debit card).

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.