cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When can we expect Costco to accept Apple Pay?

tag
nyancat
Established Contributor

Re: When can we expect Costco to accept Apple Pay?

@Anonymous wrote:

@nyancat wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

BTW Costco also accepts regular Visa/MC debit cards, not just AmEx. And Apple Pay sends the actual AmEx or debit card to the terminal (just different card number), so it shouldn't be any different from a normal credit card transaction.

Do they really accept Visa and Mastercard debit? I thought they didn't accept Visa and Mastercard at all.

http://www.costco.com/member-privileges-conditions.html:

We welcome cash,* checks,* debit/ATM cards,** Costco Cash Cards, Costco Credit Cards**, EBT Cards and American Express Cards.** Checks may require picture identification and approval by a supervisor or manager.
* Not accepted at Costco Gas Stations.
** Not accepted at Costco Food Courts.

Which doesn't say Visa/Mastercard debit? I thought Costco used the smaller and regional debit networks.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 21 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@nyancat wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@nyancat wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

BTW Costco also accepts regular Visa/MC debit cards, not just AmEx. And Apple Pay sends the actual AmEx or debit card to the terminal (just different card number), so it shouldn't be any different from a normal credit card transaction.

Do they really accept Visa and Mastercard debit? I thought they didn't accept Visa and Mastercard at all.

We welcome cash,* checks,* debit/ATM cards,** Costco Cash Cards, Costco Credit Cards**, EBT Cards and American Express Cards.** Checks may require picture identification and approval by a supervisor or manager.

Which doesn't say Visa/Mastercard debit? I thought Costco used the smaller and regional debit networks.

Generally debit cards with the Visa/MC logo can be used on at least one or two regional networks as well. My Schwab debit card has Interlink, Plus and MoneyPass logos on it (granted, two of those three are owned by Visa).

Message 22 of 25
nyancat
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@nyancat wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@nyancat wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Generally debit cards with the Visa/MC logo can be used on at least one or two regional networks as well. My Schwab debit card has Interlink, Plus and MoneyPass logos on it (granted, two of those three are owned by Visa).

Not only generally, it is a requirement for US-issued cards. Internationally, they generally support Maestro (Mastercard). So why do you think Costco runs Visa/Mastercard debit transactions? As far as I know, they do not, but I accept I may be wrong on this.

One way to tell, in the US, is if you need a PIN or a signature. If it's a signature, it's a Visa/MC transaction. If it's a PIN, it runs on a debit network.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 23 of 25
NRB525
Super Contributor

@nyancat wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@nyancat wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@nyancat wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Not only generally, it is a requirement for US-issued cards. Internationally, they generally support Maestro (Mastercard). So why do you think Costco runs Visa/Mastercard debit transactions? As far as I know, they do not, but I accept I may be wrong on this.

One way to tell, in the US, is if you need a PIN or a signature. If it's a signature, it's a Visa/MC transaction. If it's a PIN, it runs on a debit network.

That link didn't work for me, so searched the Costco site, found a "Credit Cards Accepted" page. "Transaction fees charged by VISA, MC and Discover are the highest of all the payment options we accept". Allowed cards are:

American Express Cards

PIN-based Debit cards

Costco Credit Cards

Costco Cash Cards

So the earlier comment about Costco setting up a Starbucks-like payment system is not too far out. Apple Pay, however, I still don't see as possible.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 24 of 25
nyancat
Established Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@nyancat wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@nyancat wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@nyancat wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That link didn't work for me, so searched the Costco site, found a "Credit Cards Accepted" page. "Transaction fees charged by VISA, MC and Discover are the highest of all the payment options we accept". Allowed cards are:

American Express Cards

PIN-based Debit cards

Costco Credit Cards

Costco Cash Cards

So the earlier comment about Costco setting up a Starbucks-like payment system is not too far out. Apple Pay, however, I still don't see as possible.

PIN-based debit specifically suggests they are NOT using the Visa and Mastercard network routing options, as I suspected. Visa/MC/Discover acceptance is limited to Costco.com

I see no reason for them NOT to enable contactless, though of course it'd still be limited to Amex transactions.

Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.