Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When did Chase become BK friendly?

tag
mgs2010
Regular Contributor

When did Chase become BK friendly?

My mom received 2 pre-approved offers from Chase for the Slate and the Freedom Card. She banks with Chase and has a BK7 from may 2009. Since then she's re-established, bought a house, even has prime cards like US Bank and NFCU, Discover more, etc etc. Anyhow, weeks prior to her receiving these pre-approved offers she applied online for the exact same cards and was declined. Received a letter stating because she has bankruptcy they could not approve her. Fast forward a few weeks later and she got pre-approved offers for both cards from Chase. She sat down with me and figured she would try again. BOTH of them were approved! 3,000 on the slate and 4,000 on the Freedom. The interest rate is 22.99 after the 0 intro apr expires in Jan 2014....but wow, I thought they were not bk friendly? I also thought US bank was not BK friendly but figured since she has her mortgage with them they were more lienient. I just thought it was the strangest thing...denline her for BK then weeks later approved? I wouldn't dare apply for another Chase card, I burned them in my BK in 2010...but my mom did add me as an authorized user so I'm not sure if they'll report on my bureaus?

Anyone have the same thing happen?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: When did Chase become BK friendly?

They had drawn a hard line in the sand at some point around 2010 or so that they would not approve credit cards with BK but sometime in the last year or so they have seemed to realize that they probably cant be that hard in the sand since they are one of the biggest banks and a large percentage probably bank with them and that's money you as a super large bank wants to capitalize on is your own checking and savings customers with lending products...

I know my friend had been denied back during that no time frame after closing an $8k converted wamu card and chase said he "shouldn't have closed the wamu card" but then just over a year ago got a 3.4% car loan which was pretty much the best chase rate I have ever heard of at the time...

Message 2 of 14
mgs2010
Regular Contributor

I'm surprised they don't offer a secured card or something to increase profitability from customer whose credit scores are not ideal but who already bank with Chase. I'm glad she got approved but just thought what the heck the difference was in applying online without an invitation code vs applying a few weeks later with one.

Message 3 of 14
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Per all of the CSP approvals recently, I think they have loosened up the purse. I think, in general, this time of year gets more people approved and higher credit lines.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 4 of 14
compassion101
Established Contributor

Isn't the irst uestion on theirs apps "Is your history clear o bankrupcies etc" ?

Did she answer that as no, yes, or was it not asked?

Message 5 of 14
mgs2010
Regular Contributor

When she applied online, she checked "Yes". Then when she got the pre-approved offer, that application never even asked. hmm...maybe that is why?

Message 6 of 14
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

I BK7 in 2006 and included Chase.  Even when my WaMu card converted to Chase, they promptly closed it after their first account review.    

Fast forward to last year, I financed my new car purchase with Chase at 3.29% and said what the heck, why not apply for a credit card?  Auto-decline online with my BK on record, but on recon, they gave me a second chance, which I am thankful for.   

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 7 of 14
resilient
Established Contributor

Chase is the bomb.com!

Amex Platinum Amex PRG Amex Hilton Surpass ($7k) Citi AAdvantage WEMC ($20k) Citi Hilton Honors VS ($6.8k) Dillard's Amex ($7.5k) Discover it ($6.5k) FNBO Chrysler MC ($30k) Military Star Card ($4.8k) Nordstrom VS ($25k) PenFed Power Cash Rewards VS ($20.5k) Ritz-Carlton VI ($54.5k) Starwood Preferred Guest Amex ($10k) Susan G. Komen WMC ($38k) Kinetic CU Visa ($10k) US Bank Cash + VS ($16k) Sears MC ($6k) USAA Limitless VS ($15k) Walmart MC ($7.5k) AAdvantage Aviator Silver WEMC ($11.3k)
Message 8 of 14
sweettea
Frequent Contributor

I would love for Chase to become BK friendly. I would love to take advantage of the Freedom-CSP combo for travel rewards. I never had any of their cards before so they've never been burned by me. However, my BK will be 5 years old in Jan and, from what I've read before, that's probably still too fresh for them.

Past - CH7 BK Discharged 01/09 | Rebuild Started 05/12 Present - All IIBs GONE! Future - 2015 Mortgage
Message 9 of 14
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

I think they are trying to recoup that 13 billion they are paying out in a fine PERSONALLY!
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.