Regular Contributor
mgs2010

When did Chase become BK friendly?

My mom received 2 pre-approved offers from Chase for the Slate and the Freedom Card. She banks with Chase and has a BK7 from may 2009. Since then she's re-established, bought a house, even has prime cards like US Bank and NFCU, Discover more, etc etc. Anyhow, weeks prior to her receiving these pre-approved offers she applied online for the exact same cards and was declined. Received a letter stating because she has bankruptcy they could not approve her. Fast forward a few weeks later and she got pre-approved offers for both cards from Chase. She sat down with me and figured she would try again. BOTH of them were approved! 3,000 on the slate and 4,000 on the Freedom. The interest rate is 22.99 after the 0 intro apr expires in Jan 2014....but wow, I thought they were not bk friendly? I also thought US bank was not BK friendly but figured since she has her mortgage with them they were more lienient. I just thought it was the strangest thing...denline her for BK then weeks later approved? I wouldn't dare apply for another Chase card, I burned them in my BK in 2010...but my mom did add me as an authorized user so I'm not sure if they'll report on my bureaus?

Anyone have the same thing happen?

Epic Contributor
Creditaddict

Re: When did Chase become BK friendly?

They had drawn a hard line in the sand at some point around 2010 or so that they would not approve credit cards with BK but sometime in the last year or so they have seemed to realize that they probably cant be that hard in the sand since they are one of the biggest banks and a large percentage probably bank with them and that's money you as a super large bank wants to capitalize on is your own checking and savings customers with lending products...

I know my friend had been denied back during that no time frame after closing an $8k converted wamu card and chase said he "shouldn't have closed the wamu card" but then just over a year ago got a 3.4% car loan which was pretty much the best chase rate I have ever heard of at the time...

Fico Scores: EQ- 626 Overstck., TU 696 Walmart, EX 695 Chase (11-05-14)
You will have to put up Electric Fence to keep me in the garden!
Highest Limit: Navy Federal Cash Sigi Visa $50k (AU)
Lowest Limit: Target $200
66 Cards and Counting :smileytongue:
Regular Contributor
mgs2010

I'm surprised they don't offer a secured card or something to increase profitability from customer whose credit scores are not ideal but who already bank with Chase. I'm glad she got approved but just thought what the heck the difference was in applying online without an invitation code vs applying a few weeks later with one.

Senior Contributor
youngandcreditwrthy

Per all of the CSP approvals recently, I think they have loosened up the purse. I think, in general, this time of year gets more people approved and higher credit lines.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $12.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Arrival $12.7k | Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Established Contributor
compassion101

Isn't the irst uestion on theirs apps "Is your history clear o bankrupcies etc" ?

Did she answer that as no, yes, or was it not asked?

Regular Contributor
mgs2010

When she applied online, she checked "Yes". Then when she got the pre-approved offer, that application never even asked. hmm...maybe that is why?

Valued Contributor
visorboy1974

I BK7 in 2006 and included Chase.  Even when my WaMu card converted to Chase, they promptly closed it after their first account review.    

Fast forward to last year, I financed my new car purchase with Chase at 3.29% and said what the heck, why not apply for a credit card?  Auto-decline online with my BK on record, but on recon, they gave me a second chance, which I am thankful for.   

Frequent Contributor
resilient

Chase is the bomb.com!

Belk ($2.5k) CSP VS ($5k) Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage WEMC ($13k) Citi HHonors VS ($11k) HHonors AmEx ($2k) Dillard's AmEx ($7.5k) Discover it ($3.5k) FNBO Chrysler MC ($20k) Gold Delta SkyMiles AmEx ($9.5k) Macy's AmEx ($5k) Macy's ($1k) Military Star Card ($4.8k) Military Star MC ($15k) Nordstrom VS ($10k) PenFed Cash Rewards Visa ($15k) Ritz Carlton VS ($35k) Starwood Preferred Guest AmEx ($2k) Susan G. Komen WMC ($38k) Kinetic CU Visa ($10k) US Bank Cash + VS ($14k) Walmart Discover ($7.5) Arrival + WMC ($12.5k) Wells Fargo Visa ($3k)
Frequent Contributor
sweettea

I would love for Chase to become BK friendly. I would love to take advantage of the Freedom-CSP combo for travel rewards. I never had any of their cards before so they've never been burned by me. However, my BK will be 5 years old in Jan and, from what I've read before, that's probably still too fresh for them.

Past - CH7 BK Discharged 01/09 | Rebuild Started 05/12 Present - All IIBs GONE! Future - 2015 Mortgage
Kenny

I think they are trying to recoup that 13 billion they are paying out in a fine PERSONALLY!
Starting Score: EQ04: 748 (1/31/14) - TU08: 755 (1/06/14)
Current Score:EX08:778(12/04) - EQ04:770(10/31) - EQ08:791(12/05) - TU08:798(12/05)
Goal Score: 800+

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}