cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When did flex-spend WMC/WEMC/VS cards start reporting utilization, and why?

tag
galahad15
Valued Contributor

When did flex-spend WMC/WEMC/VS cards start reporting utilization, and why?

When did flexible-spending WMC/WEMC/VS cards start reporting utilization and limits, and why?  As far back as 2008, I used to have a Citi PremierPass WMC (later converted to TYP and then to DC), which at that time did not report the util at all.  Shortly before Citi discontinued the PremierPass card product and it was converted into the TYP, Citi then began reporting util, which prior to that they hadn't done.  I guess my question is, why exactly did cc issuers decide to change the rules in the first place about how exactly NPSL limits are reported, and also when did it happen en masse?

ETA:  edited to remove earlier accidental incorrect info about Diners cards, on my part.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Re: When did flex-spend WMC/WEMC/VS cards start reporting utilization, and why?

bump?

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I very well may be missing the point here of the OP but all of my "flexible spending" cards have always reported CL's and util.

Again, am I missing something in the OP?

Message 3 of 13
galahad15
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I very well may be missing the point here of the OP but all of my "flexible spending" cards have always reported CL's and util.

When I acquired my first flexible spending card in 2008, it did not report the balance -- no matter what the balance was, at any given point in time, it would still report $0, if I am currently remembering correctly?  Also up until very recently, Diners cards appeared to still be doing the same thing AFAIK, although judging from some of the latest threads on the forum, I believe if I am understanding right that they are also now reporting balances as well, for virtually all cards?

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@galahad15 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

When I acquired my first flexible spending card in 2008, it did not report the balance -- no matter what the balance was, at any given point in time, it would still report $0, if I am currently remembering correctly?  Also up until very recently, Diners cards appeared to still be doing the same thing AFAIK, although judging from some of the latest threads on the forum, I believe if I am understanding right that they are also now reporting balances as well, for virtually all cards?

Now I definitely recall some folks recently speaking of their DC cards were reporting as they had not previously.

As for me all of  my VS and WEMC that show as flexible spending have always reported (for me this starts 11/2014).

My only card that does not report a CL is my Amex Plat charge (for obvious reasons).

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're both confusing the issue about the Diners Club cards.  Previously the cards did not report at all to the CRAs.  Now they are starting to do so and it has nothing to do with them being flexible spending cards.

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 7 of 13
galahad15
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You're both confusing the issue about the Diners Club cards.  Previously the cards did not report at all to the CRAs.  Now they are starting to do so and it has nothing to do with them being flexible spending cards.

Thank you for the helpful clarification, also my apologies for the accidental confusion there on my part, about the Diners cards.  Thanks again

Message 8 of 13
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Oh galahad... still stuck in nostalgic memories?  Smiley Very Happy

This varied by lender btw.  Most, if not all of my VS and WMC/WEMCs with the Flexible Spending coding always reported accordingly.  BOA, for instance, was one of the last few lenders (a couple years back IIRC?) that adopted the new reporting practice with their VS, WMC and AmEx (Flexible Spending) cards across the board.

As far as DIners Club, I'm not sure if the previous (charge or revolvers) products are going to follow suit with the most recent consumer cards that were launched (and discontinued) during 2014.  There are still plenty of lenders that do not report some tradelines - this could be more or less at the discretion of the lender and product type or specific regulatory guidance.  For example, the JPMorgan Select and Palladium CCs do not report to the CRAs (unless a cardholder's account is delinquent).  In the non-bank card arena, the John Deere revolving/financing product also does not report.  Likewise, PayPal Credit (aka BillMeLater) falls into that same criteria for private label.

Message 9 of 13
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Correct.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.