Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When do new accounts stop being "new accounts?"

tag
MACFRME
Frequent Contributor

When do new accounts stop being "new accounts?"

I was wondering at what time do lenders stop considering new accounts to be new? I know the conventional wisdom says 2 years, but what do you all think? Do perspectives differ at big banks and at smaller institutions that do manual reviews?

In addition, what do you think is the credit age/AAoA that you are considered to have excellent credit (meaning mortgage-worthy, unlikely to be turned down for anything)? I am not talking about just scores (I have a thin TU file and a 764). 

I aks this questions because I have opened several new account this year, and want to plan ahead. I am in the garden for at least a year (possibly stepping out next October). By then, my AAoA will be around 2 years and m credit age will be 6.5 years. I will want to ask for CLIs then and possibly add one or two more cards. 

Cards I Carry
$7.5K $23K $5k $300(SEC) $500 $300 $1,500 $800 $800
Total Available Credit: $39.7k | FICOS: EX 659 | EQ 661 | TU 673
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
red259
Super Contributor

Re: When do new accounts stop being "new accounts?"

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by new accounts stop being new? The inquiries begin to weaken at six months and then have a negligible impact on score after a year. In terms of new accounts from a lender's perspective I know chase considers an account new for the first six months if you have one of their cards and then they get more comfortable with you. I would say accounts start aging well around six months and after they cross the one year mark they are not really considered new at all. I don't know anything about mortgages though. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 2 of 6
Duke-of-Earl
Regular Contributor

The section on "Understanding your FICO Score" in their reports says (last I looked):

"FICO High Achievers opened their oldest account 19 years ago, on average."

"Most FICO High Achievers have an average age of accounts between 6 and 12 years."

... so you probably don't want to wait!  But I don't think your stats are all that problematic

if everything else looks good.

Good luck!

Starting Score: EQ 804 - (April 2009)
Upgraded thanks to FICO Forums: EQ 813 / EX 842 / TU 823 - (FICO scores from mortgage lenders, June 2010)
Recent Scores: EQ 807 / TU 799 - (March 2012)
Goal: Survive Another Day
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 6
MACFRME
Frequent Contributor

Thanks!

I am only looking to add an Amex (maybe two) next year and get most of my CLs above $6,000. I am not asking anyone for anything until then because I don't want AA. I also want to see how Chase, Alliant, and Cabela's are going to be with auto CLIs.

Cards I Carry
$7.5K $23K $5k $300(SEC) $500 $300 $1,500 $800 $800
Total Available Credit: $39.7k | FICOS: EX 659 | EQ 661 | TU 673
Message 4 of 6
Peter1142
Established Contributor

FICO scoring considers anything under 1 year as new, though it graduates to less and less important over the months. Same for inquiries which have no effect after 1 year.

This is different from your AAoA.
Message 5 of 6
Startome
Regular Contributor

From the bank I work at, we consider anything new for about 60 days. But as far as being established, it depends on a lot of factors.

Current: EQ FICO 0, TU FICO 0, EX FICO 0 | Starting Score: 0 (08/21/2013)

Starting total revolving credit: $0 | Current total revolving credit: $1600.00

Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 3-4 TU Unsure EX Unsure | Most Recent: 8/19/2013

2013 Goals:
1,000.00 Emergency Fund
1,000.00 Emergency Fund, AGAIN
Mechanically Sound Car
Unsecured Card

Fifth Third $300
U.S. Bank Harley Davidson $300
Capital One Platinum $500
2nd Capital One Platinum $500

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.