Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When do new credit cards start reporting

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

When do new credit cards start reporting

I was approved for a CapitalOne Journey card a month ago with a due date in November and last night a Chase FU due in December. Would these be reported to the credit bureaus only after my first statement because I've been using the Cap1 for a while now and credit reports only show my older Discover
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: When do new credit cards start reporting

On my newest Cap1 card, the first due date was October.  Got the card in August.  First statement cut in September without warning and post a 97% utilization that I intended to have only report $0.  Oops.

Message 2 of 9
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I opened two Chase accounts this year; both were reported to all 3 credit bureaus when my first statements generated.  Did your Capital One card generate a statement with a due date in November, or is that just what is showing as your next due date in your online account?  The only cards that I have personally experienced a long delay in reporting is Amex; those are usually reported with the 2nd or 3rd statement.  On the other hand, Discover reported the account (with a then very high mid-cycle balance) almost immediately after it was opened and well before the first statement was generated.

Message 3 of 9
Kforce
Valued Contributor

As others have posted, It can vary from a couple

weeks to about 3 months.

Message 4 of 9
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Barclays reported before my card arrived. The report shows the temporary limit that I could use until I had the actual card in hand.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Cap1 simply shows my next due date as Nov 2
So it seems like a waiting game. Just wanted to clarify whether I had to do anything in the middle. Thanks everyone
Message 6 of 9
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@HeavenOhio wrote:

Barclays reported before my card arrived. The report shows the temporary limit that I could use until I had the actual card in hand.

And everyone says bad thing about "Barclays".

That is faster than any other institutions that I have received cards from.

Interesting data point.

Message 7 of 9
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Kforce wrote:

@HeavenOhio wrote:

And everyone says bad thing about "Barclays".

That is faster than any other institutions that I have received cards from.

Interesting data point.

I guess it depends on your perspective, but unless it's a trade line that is going to seriously lower your overall utilization (or you previously had no revolving accounts, or the score boost from having less than 50% of cards reporting a balance is higher than the new account ding on a particular profile, etc...) I'd think that in most cases the longer it takes for a card to report, the better.  At least that's true in my case.  My NFCU CLOC still isn't reporting after 6 months and I'm in no rush for it to, as the extra $15k tradeline isn't enough for my profile to outweigh another newer account.  I'll contact them about it either when I get to the point where it would push my overall util below 9%, or when it hits the 2 year mark - whichever comes first.

Message 8 of 9
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Every issuer is different.

Barclays reports as soon as the account is open. Also I've yet to figure out when the first statement period ends on new accounts. Both times I've had to just wait for it to happen.

Amex, in contrast, doesn't report until the second statement period closes. I have accounts I opened back in August that I've already earned the bonus on that still haven't reported.

Most others report somewhere in between.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.