cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When do you decide to stop the apps and garden?

tag
taxi818
Super Contributor

Re: When do you decide to stop the apps and garden?

As others stated once i got every card i ever wanted. now i feel its more benficial to stop applying and let some time past in between. i can't possibly see wanting another credit card on top of the 20 i have. hmm. more than enough for sure. not matter what i do. Travel. carry balances. and so on. i have enough. so now the next phase. see how high my score can go. too bad i need a card before years end. other than that i would not apply for sure for anything in 2 years.

Message 21 of 45
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

I start gardening every Sunday at , oh I dunno 2:30 in the afternoon

NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 22 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't officially garden, but i don't go on app spree either, I just apply card one by one couple months apart.

Message 23 of 45
dmFICO8
Regular Contributor

When I feel enough is enough, simple enough for me, 6 in an app-spree is max I will do, it has become a tradition to me, though I don't know if I can do 6 more 2 years later from now, reached 3.78x exposure of the income number I used on apps.

Message 24 of 45
kjel
Established Contributor

When I was getting my credit in order to be mortgage worthy. During the mortgage applucation and underwriting you don't apply for anything so I was still in the garden. After I closed on the house but before the mortgage reported I successfully apped for CSP and Amex BCP to round out my prime cards to 3 which cover every cash back category I need. I still have 3 CapOne cards, two are my oldest open accounts and the other is 4 years old all with perfect history. I paid cash for my car last year so I won't be applying for anything that I can foresee in the future.
Current Score: TU: 674 | EQ: 722 | EX: 717 | Last Inq. 2/16/15...Locked Up in The Garden
NFCU Cash Rewards $14K | Chase Sapphire Preferred $5K | Amex Blue Cash Preferred $6K | Cap1 Quicksilver One Visa $9K

Message 25 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't officially garden, but i don't go on app spree either, I just apply card one by one couple months apart.

How does that work out for you and what is your FICO score approximately? They say after a while the INQs don't have much impact and after a year there's no impact. Perhaps this is better for me - just app every couple of months for one card. 

Message 26 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Vulcan1600 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

How does that work out for you and what is your FICO score approximately? They say after a while the INQs don't have much impact and after a year there's no impact. Perhaps this is better for me - just app every couple of months for one card. 

well... there isn't much impact on my fico score, it goes up and down between 5-30 points.

Message 27 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

If only I could garden.... I...just.... Can't.... 

Message 28 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

I started gardening when I got my first higher limit card. I was going to apply for discover as well as I was preapproved. But I realized if I treated my new Amex really good, they would reciprocate. I guess, set a utlimate goal, then break it down.  I would like to know if anyone has ever been able to get a spark card with 2% CB because they do not ask for a tax ID number for business.

Message 29 of 45
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

I stopped apping once I got approved by First Premiere. I figured why apply for more when I reached the Mecca of credit cards! Smiley Happy

Personal:

Business:

Message 30 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.