cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When do you decide to stop the apps and garden?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

When do you decide to stop the apps and garden?

I did after I was successful in obtaining the cards I wanted. But honestly, it was the "thrill" of the hunt until I did. My old lessons learned these past seven years after Chapter 13 have served me well. Plus, the weath of knowledge in this forum and willingness to help each other. It made me wonder about others of "us" and how does each person know when it is time to take care of the credit we have. Thank you ahead of time to those who respond.

In my wallet: Capital One (secured) 1917; Quicksilver 5000; Venture 15,000; Barclay Apple Rewards 2000; CareCredit 3300; Bank of American Platinum Visa 2000; Bank of America Travel Rewards 3500; Bank of America Travel Rewards 3500; Amazon Store Card 5000; Discover 10,000. Total Credit: 51,217.
FICO: EQ - 745; TU - 699; EX - 681; GOAL: 780 across the board. Gardening until further notice.

Message 1 of 45
44 REPLIES 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: When do you decide to stop the apps and garden?

A bit of using one's brain cells and also when denials start coming in...  The thrill can be exciting but can also be dangerous..

Message 2 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

My app spree stopped when I was turned down for a stupid Sheetz gas card for too many inquiries. Eye opener for me after such a successful app run.

Message 3 of 45
skimmie48
Regular Contributor

I was in the garden for a couple of years but did not realize it until I started to read the forums. Once my Chase Freedom CLI to 5,500 I apped for some higher limit credit cards. In Feb-Mar I went from 12,000 - 64,000 in available credit. I am done although I get tempted reading approvals sometimes. Next year I will probably close some and consolidate limits. 

Message 4 of 45
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

I plan my apps in advance and stop once done. 

I've stepped out of my plan twice, once for Zync, once for Sallie which was my own fault for not doing enough research on what was available at the time.  A billion accounts aren't really necessary, strategize what you need from either a spending, APR, or yes, even limit perspective and then organize your apps around that.

I generally don't plan out more than 3-4 CC's at a time and then hang out in the garden for extended stretches.  At this point I'm just rounding out my portfolio once I get past the mortgage hurdle, and I sort of think will only have 1-2 applications after that unless either the market shifts or my lifestyle does (this is the more likely one admittedly).

        
Message 5 of 45
I-think-I-can
Valued Contributor

I started gardening a few times before it actually "stuck" .  The allure of gaining credit after years of not being able to get much of anything was rather intoxicating to me, and reading the approvals and hearing the success stories really had me hooked for awhile. 

My wake up call, for lack of a better way to put it, was pulling a copy of my credit report and seeing just how many new accounts and just how much more credit I have added in such a short time. (That, and the number of Synchrony and Comenity 7-10 increase denial letters I just shredded Smiley Surprised ). 

It let me know that it's time to slow this train down a bit and let the dust settle.  Time to decide what cards to keep, which to let go, and most of all, time to accept the limitations of my income and credit profile.  I have seen it written many times on the forum and it's 100% true...Credit is a journey, not a race, and it is perfectly okay to take your time.

Starting Scores 2/13/15: EQ 635 EX 674 TU 684 ////7/16/15 Scores: EQ 661 EX 669 TU 703 //// 2/15/16 Scores EQ 652 EX 647 TU 756 //// 3/24/16 Scores: EQ 661 EX 649 TU 773 //// EQ 670 EX 653 TU 768 (EQ And EX still tainted)
Goal Scores: 760 across the board
Message 6 of 45
Creditwiser
Valued Contributor

@I-think-I-can wrote:

I started gardening a few times before it actually "stuck" .  The allure of gaining credit after years of not being able to get much of anything was rather intoxicating to me, and reading the approvals and hearing the success stories really had me hooked for awhile. 

My wake up call, for lack of a better way to put it, was pulling a copy of my credit report and seeing just how many new accounts and just how much more credit I have added in such a short time. (That, and the number of Synchrony and Comenity 7-10 increase denial letters I just shredded Smiley Surprised ). 

It let me know that it's time to slow this train down a bit and let the dust settle.  Time to decide what cards to keep, which to let go, and most of all, time to accept the limitations of my income and credit profile.  I have seen it written many times on the forum and it's 100% true...Credit is a journey, not a race, and it is perfectly okay to take your time.

+1 Couldnt have said it better.   Get what you need to get going and rebuild, then let the dust settle.

NFCU Visa 30k | NFCU Platinum 30k | Cap1 QS 12K | Cap1 QS 11.5K | Barclay MC 9k | Delta Gold Amex 30K | Discover IT 14K | CFNA FS 3200 | CareCredit 20k| Paypal Credit 5k |
Message 7 of 45
Gmood1
Super Contributor

I did my first spree here in the last two weeks. It is very addictive! I enjoyed it, I must admit. But I have now pumped the brakes. Went from 2 cards to 10 and $2600 to $53,000 in credit limits. Every card I applied for I was approved..no denials. It knocked my EX score 29 points and the other two 6 points. The good thing is Discover has already reported with only two weeks of use and raised my scores 6 points! Hopefully the other new accounts will have a some what positive affect as well. So far the card spree was worth it in my case. Now to gardening and a requesting CLI's in 6 months.Smiley LOL

Message 8 of 45
Gmood1
Super Contributor

I did my first spree here in the last two weeks. It is very addictive! I enjoyed it, I must admit. But I have now pumped the brakes. Went from 2 cards to 10 and $2600 to $53,000 in credit limits. Every card I applied for I was approved..no denials. It knocked my EX score 29 points and the other two 6 points. The good thing is Discover has already reported with only two weeks of use and raised my scores 6 points! Hopefully the other new accounts will have a some what positive affect as well. So far the card spree was worth it in my case. Now to gardening and requesting CLI's in 6 months.Smiley LOL

Message 9 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

I decided to stop in January. That lasted until April, when I decided to stop again. That lasted for a month when I decided to stop again. But, hey, I can quit any time..

Message 10 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.