Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When do you get a CLI

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

When do you get a CLI

I have 2 HSBC account (Best Buy - $550 & Orchard - $650) I have a Walmart Card ($375) and Credit One Card ($450).

I've been with all for a year or more and I have not got an increase unless I requested (only once back in April 2009).

I pay all my bills on time and have no current balances on any of them. I use them monthly but pay them off either before statement post or before due date. When will I recieve a CLI without asking? I want an increase now as it will help my Credit Score, but I dont want to call and request as I am in the middle of purchasing a home and I dont want the hard pulls to show on my report.

Any suggestions or advice?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Re: When do you get a CLI

I wouldn't rock the boat with any requests right in the middle of a home purchase.  But if you need the score boost for the home purchase, see if you can get a close family member (one with good credit, and an established $0 balance credit card account that's older than your average age of accounts) to add you as an authorized user on that account.  That should give you a score boost without risking damage from a new inquiry during your home buying process.

Hope this helps, and good luck with the home!

Message 2 of 6
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have 2 HSBC account (Best Buy - $550 & Orchard - $650) I have a Walmart Card ($375) and Credit One Card ($450).

I've been with all for a year or more and I have not got an increase unless I requested (only once back in April 2009).

I pay all my bills on time and have no current balances on any of them. I use them monthly but pay them off either before statement post or before due date. When will I recieve a CLI without asking? I want an increase now as it will help my Credit Score, but I dont want to call and request as I am in the middle of purchasing a home and I dont want the hard pulls to show on my report.

I agree with the above advice. Authorized User status is a good idea and won't cost you an inquiry. Try, if you can, to pay them all before they report. Maybe let a small balance show...but only a small one. That will help your score.

Don't....don't...don't apply for anything while in the process of getting a mortgage. It will raise red flags to your lender. Keep in mind that...sometimes...asking for a CLI can cause a hard pull. Don't do it until after you have closed on the mortgage.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

coolAunt - if you are not carrying balances, it will not help your FICO score to have increased credit limits.

On some FAKO sites, you'll see a note that your score is being hurt by having low credit limits.

That is not true in the FICO world - there is no ding for low credit limits.  DH had a FICO score over 800 with only one card - a $500 CL Orchard.  Don't worry about it - and certainly don't risk a hard pull in the middle of your home purchase.  You're fine with your CL's!

It's hard to ignore FAKO advice once you've read it.  Although I use CCT to pull my reports daily, I totally ignore the scores they post and their FAKO advice - following it will often actually damage your FICO scores.

You may see a score increase if you adjust all of your payments so that the balance reporting on the statement date is optimum; and if you have only one card reporting a small (~3%) balance.  What are the reported balances on your credit reports?

Also - What are your current FICO scores - and what are you wanting them to be for your mortgage??

Congrats on your home purchase and on your good work building your credit!

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you tried the CLI button on the BestBuy HSBC account and Walmart?

I click the CLI for BestBuy every 6 months and Walmart every 4 months without any hard pulls.

I never have any luck with Orchard. I have 2 cards with them and have had the same CLs for over 5 yrs. I've given up trying and the cards have been sock drawered for the past 2 yrs.

They say they do hard pulls for CLI and I've never seen those on my report, but it may be different now due to economy.

You can ask them over the phone if they will do a hard pull for CLI. If the rep confirms, then just cancel the request.

Message Edited by Solarjuju on 12-10-2009 11:30 AM
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

my scores are currently 640 and higher, I have not tried any CLI because I do not want ANYTHING to effect my closing.

I just thought its interesting that I have not been increased other than the one time I called and asked.

But if carring a zero balance with and increase wont matter on my FICO I will wait until after I close to worry about the limits.

Thanks for all your replies.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.