cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When does a 0% promotional rate begin charging interest?

tag
ManekMan

When does a 0% promotional rate begin charging interest?

We had a 6 months 0% interest rate on the Amex BCP.  We used it for xmas, and planned to cash out 2 weeks of my husbands vacation pay to cover it.  They always pay it out 2 checks after xmas.  Well, surprise, not this year!  They are paying it Feb 3rd.  The promotional balance expires the 24th of January.  I thought it would be paid on the 20th of January. 

Anyway, there is a balance of 3600 (about 1000 of that is just normal purchases which will still be paid tomorrow).  The next statement cuts the 23rd.  Does interest start accruing immediately, or if I pay it off by the next statement date, will it still be essentially 0%?  And, if it does start accruing interest immediately, if I pay it on the 3rd of Feb, will it be a 1/2 month of interest charges, or a full month?

Thanks for your help, I tried googling, but could not find what I was looking for.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Re: When does a 0% promotional rate begin charging interest?

I have a 0% with Capital One that expires in a few months.   It also expires about a week before the due date.   I called and they said if I paid the full balance by the due date after the expiration, there would be no interest charges.  

I don't know if AMEX does it that way as well. .

Message 2 of 6
ChesterPDexter
Established Contributor

OK, I don't mean to sound critical, but I'm not sure why you don't just call and ask.  I call CSRs any and every time I have a question about any of my accounts because that is what they are paid to do - answer my questions!  Smiley Happy

Mega Contributor

+1

call them and find out

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 6
ManekMan

I will probably call. I just didn't want them to think we are broke (we sort of are, but just until tax/bonus in march! ). I haven't paid any interest this year (After a few years of struggling to pay off 28000 with high interest rates), and I don't want to start!
Message 5 of 6
ChesterPDexter
Established Contributor

I don't think they'll make guesses about whether you're broke or not.  Rich people love to keep their money sequestered in one place or another until the last possible second, anyway.  They'll just think you're shrewd about handling your money in a detailed manner, if they even think about it beyond the simple math and billing concerns.