cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When does a negative item drop off your credit report?

tag

When does a negative item drop off your credit report?

I had a credit card that was first late in August 2001.  It went to a collection agency in January 2002.  I paid in full to the collection agency in Feb 2002.  When should it fall off the credit report?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: When does a negative item drop off your credit report?

7 years+180 days from DOFD. CRA's dont use that 180 on mine so yours should fall in August.

You could dispute obsolete since they are so close to falling off naturally. I forget but EQ or EX may hold it till the end. YMMV

Collections must fall from OC DOFD they don't get to re-age stuff at will. Although some try.
Message 2 of 8

Thanks for the info!
Message 3 of 8

Since it is 6+ years old, will it make much of a difference with my FICO score?
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is probably having minimal impact atm. However if it is the lone derog in an otherwise spotless report it may impact a bit more.
Message 5 of 8

Another question--none of three credit reports from myfico has the DOFD listed.  EQ has date of last activity Aug 2001; Exp and Transunion has date assigned Oct 2002.  Will these dates affect when it drops off?
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

stlouiscardinalsfan wrote:
Another question--none of three credit reports from myfico has the DOFD listed.  EQ has date of last activity Aug 2001; Exp and Transunion has date assigned Oct 2002.  Will these dates affect when it drops off?

EQ uses DOLA in place of DOFD (the name of the field on EQ is actually a misnomer, since it actually contains the DOFD).

If your EX and/or TU report(s) don't show DOFD, you can call and ask them.  "Date Assigned" has nothing to do with how long it will report.

BTW, I'm answering this question in spite of your username. LOL. No offense. (Go Cubs. Smiley Wink )

Message 7 of 8

Thanks for the info.  I've learned a lot the past few months reading all of the posts.  Thanks for not holding my team affiliation against me!
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.