cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When, exactly, does Discover double cashback end?

tag
barthooper
Frequent Contributor

When, exactly, does Discover double cashback end?

Apologies if this has been covered before, but Discover's FAQ didn't provide a satisfying enough answer for me, so I was hoping someone here could clarify.

Lately with the Discover site redesign, I now have a section that says 

"Cashback Match™: Since Oct 2, 2015, you've earned $494.9 Cashback Bonus. We'll give you another $494.9 - available on Nov 19, 2016. The more you earn, the more we'll match."

This makes me wonder how precise the enforcement of the match period is. Should I stop using Discover for non-category spend as of Oct 2 (my actual Discover anniversary) or will I be matched through the end of my 12th statement close, which is a couple of weeks later?

I'll most likely pick up the Citi DC soon after to maintain my 2% fix.

Quicksilver - 16k | Discover It - 34k | Citi DC - $21k | Chase Amazon - 8k | Chase Reserve - 19.5k | Chase Preferred - 5k | EX FICO (Discover CSC) 788
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: When, exactly, does Discover double cashback end?

Another 2% daily driver card to consider is Blispay.

Message 2 of 14
barthooper
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Another 2% daily driver card to consider is Blispay.

That's a good point. I'm familiar with Blispay as it has been mentioned quite a bit on here. The 0% for 6 months on $199+ is a nice feature that I can see the utility for, but never being able to get a CLI, as I've read, would be disappointing. Also it's a relatively new, untested card. I did make use of my Discover's Price Protection a few times, so I was looking forward to having a similar feature with Citi, that being Price Rewind, as well as being able to generate virtual/temporary account numbers for online purchases when you're unsure about the merchant.

Quicksilver - 16k | Discover It - 34k | Citi DC - $21k | Chase Amazon - 8k | Chase Reserve - 19.5k | Chase Preferred - 5k | EX FICO (Discover CSC) 788
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

True, those are some good perks.  Regarding CLIs on Blispay though, I emailed back and forth with the CEO a few weeks back and he did say that they would be doing CLIs in the future.  He did not say when, but it was at least good to know that sometime down the road they will happen.

Good question on the Discover cash back match though, I'm curious about the answer as well even though I'm not even half way into my first year with them.

Message 4 of 14
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

@barthooper wrote:

Apologies if this has been covered before, but Discover's FAQ didn't provide a satisfying enough answer for me, so I was hoping someone here could clarify.

"Cashback Match™: Since Oct 2, 2015, you've earned $494.9 Cashback Bonus. We'll give you another $494.9 - available on Nov 19, 2016. The more you earn, the more we'll match."

This makes me wonder how precise the enforcement of the match period is. Should I stop using Discover for non-category spend as of Oct 2 (my actual Discover anniversary) or will I be matched through the end of my 12th statement close, which is a couple of weeks later?

Looks like it will get tossed onto your account 11/19/16.  Everything needs to post prior to that for it to count.  I would anticipate whatever date the statement cutting just prior to that will be the end of the doubling.  Discover doesn't do a real time update for the cash back so, it's safe to assume that statement will be your calculated bonus.

Message 5 of 14
Wolfeyy
Regular Contributor

I would stop before hand just to make sure you get everything. Discover does take a while to post the cashback in my experience. 

"Four more months until 2 inquires fall off."
My Journey Thread: Wolfeyy's Journey/Timeline thus far...
Goal: 780s across the board(Accomplished!) | Util: under 3%
5/27/17 - TU: 789 | EX: 785 | EQ: 798
Discover IT - $11,000 | Citi DC - $5,200 | PenFed Cash Rewards - $2,500 | Cap1 QS1 - $2,300 | Barclay Rewards - $1,500
Paypal Credit - $1,000

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@barthooper wrote:

Personal experience:

I got my doubling on the 12th statement after I added the doubling.  It was available the day my statement cut.

Message 7 of 14
Maxi11510
Contributor

Hi there, I too received the same bonus email with Discover give a matching cash back offer. I actually received my cash back match upon my 1 year anniversary with them a few weeks ago. Hope this helps. 

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

You should be able to run it up to 3 days before your statement close date, that way it'll post before the close date. That double your cashback thing is a one time only occurrence, which happens on your one year anniversary of opening.
Message 9 of 14
barthooper
Frequent Contributor

Just so everyone's clear, my question isn't about when the doubled cashback will be available, but when new purchases would no longer fall under the double cash umbrella, essentially if it is exactly your 12 month anniversary, to the day, or the end of your 12th statement.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.