cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When is a rebate card not a rebate card?

tag
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

When is a rebate card not a rebate card?

Just because it clearly says "gas rebate" on the card doesn't mean there actually is one.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o5h07uaqpcdsspx/AAAvisacrop.jpg?dl=0

This account is 12 years old. The card has been sockdrawered for quite some time and it just renewed. It has a 7.9% fixed rate and a 22K CL. It's part of my emergency fund. Smiley Very Happy

Got around to calling BofA today to get an explanation of benefits because there is no mention of rebates for this card at the website. After getting transferred twice, I finally end up at the rebate center only to be told "hmmm.... your card has no rebate benefits!". She said the lower fixed rate AND rebates wouldn't go together. Which I concur. Still, strange to say the least.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: When is a rebate card not a rebate card?

It looks like from what I can tell back in the day that card was supposed to give 5% back on gas purchases and 1% back everywhere else, but the card isn't offered anymore so it's possible BofA nerfed it for their newer AAA card (which is closer to a 321 rewards with slightly different categories).

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Turbobuick wrote:

Just because it clearly says "gas rebate" on the card doesn't mean there actually is one.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o5h07uaqpcdsspx/AAAvisacrop.jpg?dl=0

This account is 12 years old. The card has been sockdrawered for quite some time and it just renewed. It has a 7.9% fixed rate and a 22K CL. It's part of my emergency fund. Smiley Very Happy

Got around to calling BofA today to get an explanation of benefits because there is no mention of rebates for this card at the website. After getting transferred twice, I finally end up at the rebate center only to be told "hmmm.... your card has no rebate benefits!". She said the lower fixed rate AND rebates wouldn't go together. Which I concur. Still, strange to say the least.

Ask for APR reduction? Smiley Tongue

5.9% Fixed sounds nice.

Message 3 of 4
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It looks like from what I can tell back in the day that card was supposed to give 5% back on gas purchases and 1% back everywhere else, but the card isn't offered anymore so it's possible BofA nerfed it for their newer AAA card (which is closer to a 321 rewards with slightly different categories).

Yeah, I googled it earlier and found that info. Not sure if I missed the boat or if I ever had rebate capability. Makes ya wonder why they don't correct it. Card recently newed. I have two 321 cards from BofA already, but wish this was one too. Right now I only charge my Ooma home phone bill to it monthly. All $3.85/mo to keep it alive.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.