Established Contributor
dodgeball

When is it time to start getting rid of the dead weight cards !

I have to many cards as of right now.  When is the Ideal time to start closing accounts. And closing the lesser accounts will it open the doors to the last remaining card I want the Citi Thank You Premier Card or the Chase saphire.

NFCU Cash Rewards Siggy $22k, NFCU Flagship Rewards Siggy $22K, NFCU Platinum MC $20K, USAA Amex Rewards $6k, USAA World Mastercard Rewards $6k, NFCU Navcheck $15k

Other Cards - Citibank AAdvantage, Chase Slate, Barclays Rewards,

IN THE GARDEN UNTIL APRIL 2014

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1

Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Frequent Contributor
ilovelisa

Re: When is it time to start getting rid of the dead weight cards !

dodgeball wrote:

I have to many cards as of right now.  When is the Ideal time to start closing accounts. And closing the lesser accounts will it open the doors to the last remaining card I want the Citi Thank You Premier Card or the Chase saphire.

Anytime your sick of looking at them lol.  If I were you I'd drop the BofA Amex, Chase Slate, and Barclay's Apple.

Amex BCE $6,000 | BofA Power Rewards WMC $10,000 | Chase Freedom VS $10,000 | Chase Marriott Premier VS $5,000 | DCU $1,000 | Discover It $1,900 | Elan VS $9,000 | Local CU Visa $3,500 | PenFed Platinum Rewards VS $5,000 | SallieMae Rewards $8,000
Valued Contributor
SnackTrader

It depends - but generally anything without an annual fee I would leave open just to lengthen your credit history and maintain utilization. Set up autopay so that you never run into a late payment. If you aren't using a card that does have an AF, feel free to close it before the AF hits. Or, try calling the card issuer and ask to have the AF waived for another year. If they don't oblige, then you can close it.

Totally your decision though. Just remember, it's much harder to get credit when you actually need it.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $22.200, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Chase CSP (4/14) $12,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Forward (12/12) $9,600, Chase Freedom (12/12) $5,000

Last App: April 2, 2014
Established Contributor
dodgeball

That was what I was thinking Lisa, but I just opened the accounts to find out there quite worthless to me.

NFCU Cash Rewards Siggy $22k, NFCU Flagship Rewards Siggy $22K, NFCU Platinum MC $20K, USAA Amex Rewards $6k, USAA World Mastercard Rewards $6k, NFCU Navcheck $15k

Other Cards - Citibank AAdvantage, Chase Slate, Barclays Rewards,

IN THE GARDEN UNTIL APRIL 2014

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1

Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Frequent Contributor
ilovelisa

[ Edited ]

dodgeball wrote:

That was what I was thinking Lisa, but I just opened the accounts to find out there quite worthless to me.

Thats exactly how I got so many cards, I did close my Cap 1 Newcomers, Sony Card, and Staples today. All 3 worthless.  

Amex BCE $6,000 | BofA Power Rewards WMC $10,000 | Chase Freedom VS $10,000 | Chase Marriott Premier VS $5,000 | DCU $1,000 | Discover It $1,900 | Elan VS $9,000 | Local CU Visa $3,500 | PenFed Platinum Rewards VS $5,000 | SallieMae Rewards $8,000

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}