cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When is the most strategic time to apply for AmEx - a little confused.

tag
_jb_
Frequent Contributor

When is the most strategic time to apply for AmEx - a little confused.

Ok, I am in the garden since 02/19/13, and will remain there until at least 08/19/13 (6 months). I want to pick up my first AmEx, a BCP, but was going to wait until December this year to maximize AAoA, score, etc. Is there a more strategic time for me to apply, for backdating purposes (August)? My understanding is that all other AmEx CCs will be backdated to 01/13 if I pick up one of their cards before the end of the year, but I am not 100% clear on that.

I have no plans for other AmEx cards at this point, but may in the future.

Starting Scores: myFICO EQ: 678, myFICO TU: 676, myFICO EX: 678 (01/2013)
Latest Scores: myFICO EQ: 789, myFICO TU: 782, myFICO EX: 788
My Wallet: American Express BCE, NFCU cashRewards, Capital One Quicksilver, Discover It, Chase Freedom, Chase Amazon Rewards
Gardening since 02/07/17
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
CEOriginal
Contributor

Re: When is the most strategic time to apply for AmEx - a little confused.

I may be wrong, but AMEX's backdating only takes effect on your second card with them. The start date on that card would match the Member Since date on your first card.

Scores as of 7/28/13: EX.683   TU.688   EQ.???
Message 2 of 8
SSA_2013
Frequent Contributor

@_jb_ wrote:

Ok, I am in the garden since 02/19/13, and will remain there until at least 08/19/13 (6 months). I want to pick up my first AmEx, a BCP, but was going to wait until December this year to maximize AAoA, score, etc. Is there a more strategic time for me to apply, for backdating purposes (August)? My understanding is that all other AmEx CCs will be backdated to 01/13 if I pick up one of their cards before the end of the year, but I am not 100% clear on that.

I have no plans for other AmEx cards at this point, but may in the future.

In order to get the best benefits one would have to apply before January 2014. So December would be a good time. I recommend you don't wait until the last week of December because anything can happen. They can request paperwork, processing times, etc. The last thing you would want is the app to be finalized or denied and reviewed after the New Year. So I would recommend you apply by the middle of December.

Message 3 of 8
SSA_2013
Frequent Contributor

@CEOriginal wrote:

I may be wrong, but AMEX's backdating only takes effect on your second card with them. The start date on that card would match the Member Since date on your first card.

That is correct. That is why the OP would like to get his first card to show 2013. That way even if he applied for 2-3 Amex cards in 2014, 2016, etc it would be backdated to 2013. 

Message 4 of 8
CEOriginal
Contributor

@SSA_2013 wrote:

@CEOriginal wrote:

That is correct. That is why the OP would like to get his first card to show 2013. That way even if he applied for 2-3 Amex cards in 2014, 2016, etc it would be backdated to 2013. 

Gotcha.. Completely mis-read that. 

Scores as of 7/28/13: EX.683   TU.688   EQ.???
Message 5 of 8
MeridianRN86

+1 CEOriginal

Op, you won't be backdated to 01/13. You'll instead be backdated to 12/13 (your member since date).
Best Buy: $600
Bill Me Later: $1510
Discover IT:$2500
Barclaycard: $3700
Belks:$4050
Amex BCE: $9000

EQ: 757/EX:761 (4/14/13)
Message 6 of 8
_jb_
Frequent Contributor

Ok so then it would be more advantageous for me to go ahead and apply at the 6 month point (August), all other things considered. Thanks for the quick replies.

Starting Scores: myFICO EQ: 678, myFICO TU: 676, myFICO EX: 678 (01/2013)
Latest Scores: myFICO EQ: 789, myFICO TU: 782, myFICO EX: 788
My Wallet: American Express BCE, NFCU cashRewards, Capital One Quicksilver, Discover It, Chase Freedom, Chase Amazon Rewards
Gardening since 02/07/17
Message 7 of 8
bribro
Valued Contributor

@_jb_ wrote:

Ok so then it would be more advantageous for me to go ahead and apply at the 6 month point (August), all other things considered. Thanks for the quick replies.

Pretty much. All other things being equal, the sooner your apply for your very first AmEx card, the better. Anytime between that 6 month mark and the end of the year is fine though.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.