Regular Contributor
siangirl34

When is your credit old enough to get a decent card?

[ Edited ]
Here are my cards and age, BOA, April/07, CapOne, 04/07, Chase 06/07 and Paypal Buyer thing 06/08. It says on my power score that age of accounts is hurting my score. I realized after trying the score simulator, that my habit of carrying a pretty high balance is playing a big part in my low score of 600, so have paid everything to zero in the hopes of hitting 700.

I also have some inquiries - one from 06/08, 07/08 (this was a rental screening), another from 07/08, when I tried to pay for this thing with buy it now, not realising that they were checking my score and a whole bunch from 02/2008 when I applied for a bunch of cards (and was denied for all of them..ha).

Is there any point in applying for a nice card (I am thinking one that gives 5% cash back like discover or some similar card) once I hit over 700 or will they probably deny me because my credit history is too short, even though I have a decent score and never missed a payment? I have nothing else bad on my account. The history is very limited because I did not become a resident in the US until 05/07.

Should I wait for some sort of preapproved offer (currently I get these really crappy ones for cards, I don't want).

Other negative factors affecting my score as per scorewatch:

high credit usage 
seeking credit
accounts with balances

Any help would be appreciated.

Message Edited by siangirl34 on 07-29-2008 05:02 PM

Message Edited by siangirl34 on 07-29-2008 05:04 PM

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}