cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When paying off a credit card balance do you still need to use it?

tag
glamchick
Established Contributor

When paying off a credit card balance do you still need to use it?

I am paying off a balance on one of my credit cards each month.   Is the balance considered activity?   I jsut don't want to loose my credit limit by not using the card and just paying it down.  I know some people have had that happen to them but I wasn't sure if they had a balance on their card?

Thanks.

Gardening since 5/3/2016
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: When paying off a credit card balance do you still need to use it?

Reporting a balance should be counted as activity in the sense that they shouldn't cancel your card strictly due to not swiping it
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: When paying off a credit card balance do you still need to use it?

Agreed
Non activity closures or CLDs are rare and very widely depending on the lender.

IMO
If you run some bubble gum or candy through the account every 4 months ( just so the lender is FORCED to produce a statement with at one item on it ( they make a little in exchange fees) you'll be fine as in keeping the account 'active'.

Mind you, you can accomplish this by swiping on Monday and paying on Tuesday...such that internally and between you and your vendor a transaction happened but by the time the vendor reports to the CRA..

You're most likely at a zero balance, which is ok because your 'usage' play was only so the vendor sees your account as active, to ward off AA from the card company.

Hope that helps.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.