cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When should I apply for a Chase Sapphire Preferred?

tag
charyot77
Regular Contributor

When should I apply for a Chase Sapphire Preferred?

In early September I was approved for about $10,000 in additional credit between about 3 new credit cards.

I was hoping to go for a Sapphire Preferred in the spring because I live abroad and dont want to pay foreign exchange fees.

I think the CSP is the best product for my needs and was hoping to wait until March to give my accounts time to age.

However, I learned a few weeks ago that I can get as much as 7% back on a Macbook purchase with my Citi Dividend card, so by the end of December I will be charging a large purchase to my card that might take up 70% of its available credit.  I'm worried that this might turn off a potential new creditor.  

Do you think I should apply before I make this purchase? 

I plan to carry the balance for about 6 or 7 months since I have 0% financing for a year.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
distantarray
Established Contributor

Re: When should I apply for a Chase Sapphire Preferred?

Nov 28th you get 10% off at the Apple Store through Chase Ultimate Rewards Mall so it's based on what you want, and Chase Freedom has 0% APR for the first 18 months.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 2 of 6
charyot77
Regular Contributor

Wow! Is this a black Friday deal? How can they give 10% off!?

Message 3 of 6
distantarray
Established Contributor

http://freefrombroke.com/chase-ultimate-rewards-cards-holiday-promotion/

Cyber Monday although it says 10 EXTRA points so I wonder if it's 11% deal lol, and Chase points are worth 1 penny no matter what so it could be used for cash back statement credit or 25% more for travel so if it is 11 points you can get 13.75% for travels. if not 11 then 10 for 12.50% for travel. If you bought a $1,500 Macbook Air you could get $187.50 travel credit.

Message 4 of 6
charyot77
Regular Contributor

Thanks, this makes my decision harder, though I guess if I'm denied now, I'll be forced to wait until March to try again.

Message 5 of 6
distantarray
Established Contributor

@charyot77 wrote:

Thanks, this makes my decision harder, though I guess if I'm denied now, I'll be forced to wait until March to try again.

if you get declined another good option is a USAA basic member which anyone can get and a their debit card has 1% foreign transaction fees and is great for cash at any ATM machines.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.