cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When should I apply for discover or citi again?

tag
colindidit
Established Contributor

When should I apply for discover or citi again?

A little about my current credit situation

The Good:

Less than 2 percent util...(not reported) 490 overall debt out of about 29k credit

reported utilization is 8 percent on both equifax and experian with credit scores of 721 on both

reported utilization is 13 on TU 

Average account age is about 2 years oldest account age is 4.5 years.

The not so good:

Hard Inquiries a plenty...

19 on equifax

28 on experian

26 on TU

with half falling off throughout this year on each..

I think its good to be known that a majority of these dings (probably about 80 percent) were before i started using myfico.

Finally I was denied discover last on august 20, 2012 and citi on october 17, 2012

All my information is gotten from my credit report

advice on when would be a good time to apply for those cards so i can finally get a prime card...i do plan on letting a lof of these inq's fall of first...but as it stands do you think i have a shot? thanks in advance.

Wallet: Barclay-5k, Citadel MC- 5k, Slate- 4k, Freedom- 3k, BOA- 3k, Citi- 2k, AMEXBCE- 2k and more...
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
SpeedingWheels
Contributor

Re: When should I apply for discover or citi again?

I would wait for 0 INQ's in 6 months. 

You'll probably get a 7-10 day message on any app, but when you RECON you can explain you've been app free for 6 months at that point. 

Walmart Discover ($5000) - Amazon ($5500) - Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2000) - Meijer ($5000) - Discover More ($1800) - Car Care One ($2100) - Amex Delta Skymiles ($2000) - Citi Thank You Preferred ($2000) - Chase Freedom ($500) - Sam's Club, GE ($1237?)
Message 2 of 6
colindidit
Established Contributor

Yeah maybe thats a good idea...like i inferred im not desperate for credit just eager to get a prime card...the last inquiry i have is one from bank of america due to a credit increase i didnt get back in january...so id probably have to wait til july..

Wallet: Barclay-5k, Citadel MC- 5k, Slate- 4k, Freedom- 3k, BOA- 3k, Citi- 2k, AMEXBCE- 2k and more...
Message 3 of 6
SpeedingWheels
Contributor

You can talk your way out of excessive INQ's as long as they have some age to them. 

Keep gardening and I would imagine you'll be VERY happy with the results in a few months Smiley Wink

Walmart Discover ($5000) - Amazon ($5500) - Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2000) - Meijer ($5000) - Discover More ($1800) - Car Care One ($2100) - Amex Delta Skymiles ($2000) - Citi Thank You Preferred ($2000) - Chase Freedom ($500) - Sam's Club, GE ($1237?)
Message 4 of 6
colindidit
Established Contributor

Haha believe me i have...thats the only reason i got my disney chase...but thats last time i was approved for anything 

I certainly hope so...i've been paying most everything in full every month the past few months.

Message 5 of 6
colindidit
Established Contributor

Bump

Edit: I got the itch and almost applied for discover yesterday after hearing of everyone's success with the it and big limits... I want to get a limit of at least 2k but I don't wanna ask chase just yet and get a HP for two hundred dollars.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.