Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When should I apply?

tag
aerin731
New Visitor

When should I apply?

Basically I am a 21 year old college student with one year left until I graduate and (hopefully) go off grad school to pursue my Ph.D.  I'm trying to establish my credit, but I don't want to apply for cards that I don't actually want.  Currently I have a Citi Forward ($900 limit, opened in Feb. 2013) and a student Discover IT ($1500 limit, opened very recently in July 2013).  The cards I want to get are a Chase Freedom, an AMEX BCE, and a Citi ThankYou Preferred.  My question is, how long should I wait to apply for these cards and should I do them all at once or drawn out or in a particular order?

Other pertinent information:

- I make roughly $13,000 a year.

- When I received my Discover card it included a TU FICO score of 712.

- My TU report has 2 inquiries from the past year, and I think my EX report has two as well.  EQ has none that I know of, but I haven't checked it lately.

- I also had a car loan from Jan 2011 to Jan 2013.  It was paid off and the account was closed in good standing.

- No late payments/derogatory marks.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: When should I apply?

Welcome to the forum! Chase likes to see 1 yr of rev cc history , Amex 6mos-1yr. I'd would try the pre-approval site for Chase and Citi and if nothing pops up , then Apply for Chase, Amex and Citi in Feb 2014
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.