07-12-2013 12:52 AM
Basically I am a 21 year old college student with one year left until I graduate and (hopefully) go off grad school to pursue my Ph.D. I'm trying to establish my credit, but I don't want to apply for cards that I don't actually want. Currently I have a Citi Forward ($900 limit, opened in Feb. 2013) and a student Discover IT ($1500 limit, opened very recently in July 2013). The cards I want to get are a Chase Freedom, an AMEX BCE, and a Citi ThankYou Preferred. My question is, how long should I wait to apply for these cards and should I do them all at once or drawn out or in a particular order?
Other pertinent information:
- I make roughly $13,000 a year.
- When I received my Discover card it included a TU FICO score of 712.
- My TU report has 2 inquiries from the past year, and I think my EX report has two as well. EQ has none that I know of, but I haven't checked it lately.
- I also had a car loan from Jan 2011 to Jan 2013. It was paid off and the account was closed in good standing.
- No late payments/derogatory marks.
Thanks in advance for your opinions!
07-12-2013 01:11 AM
myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.>> About myFICO