Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When should I apply?

tag
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: When should I apply?

@Killerz187 wrote:

I just have a basic unsecured Bank of America CC with a $700 limit, started off as a secure card with $300 two years ago. I am still a student, going to school and working.

Would a Student CC have the limit I'm looking for? 

I don't think I've even ever applied for a card, oh, but I did get approved for a  $2000 account with HP  last year that I'm just about done paying off the $1300 I used on it, balance is ~400 this month. Never been late on that one either, but I don't see myself using it again, nothing HP has interests me currently. Would it be ok to close that one? Does it even count since I cant use it anywhere but with HP?

Edit: I make just a little under 20k right now, but when I get out of training at work my base pay will rise, and I'll be getting attendance and performance bonuses that will push me up to around 21-22k.

I think Discover and Citi forward would be a good fit for you although no one can say what limit you would get ...sorry

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 11 of 17
hot4u
Established Contributor

I would go with Discover...

(Chase)- Freedom, CSP®, United MileagePlus® Explorer, Marriott Rewards® Premier, Penfed cash+ rewards/Promise/Defender.
Amex’s- BCE, Hilton, SPG®, PRG® and Blue®, NFCU Cash Rewards, FHB Destinations World Elite.
- Amex Centurion,(Citi) Executive/Platinum® Advantage

Alaska Airlines
Message 12 of 17
Killerz187

Thank you for the info guys/gals, have a plan of what to do now.

Being that I've never applied for cards before, if I were to apply for more than one, should I do it one at a time or a few at once?

Discover it: $3500
Chase Freedom: $3000
Amex BCE: $2000
BofA Cash Rewards: $2000
5/3 Platinum Visa: $1000
Message 13 of 17
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Killerz187 wrote:

Thank you for the info guys/gals, have a plan of what to do now.

Being that I've never applied for cards before, if I were to apply for more than one, should I do it one at a time or a few at once?

May as well get it all done on the same day so INQ's can all age together

Good Luck and best wishes

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 14 of 17
staifokuzed
Regular Contributor

I would app discover first. Lately they seem to love one or two low limit profiles. Next i do Amex prg then immediately app for the blue cash everyday or preferred if u can justify the annual fee.

It is very important that your utility is much lower though. And please make sure your credit reports reflect the lower utility before applying.

Another thing you could do is have someone add u as authorized user on a card with lots of age with little to no balance. But ur boa card balance will still have to drop some.
AMEX B SKY-1K AMEX PRG- NPSL USAA PLTM -6K
DISCOVER IT- 5.2K BARCLAY REWARD- 3.2K
PAYPAL REWARDS -6K VICTORIA SECRETS -1750
USAA AMEX-5.5K CITI TY PREFR 3.1K(NPSL) CHASE FREEDOM -1K
SPORTSMAN VISA- 8K AMEX ED PRFD- 8.5
Message 15 of 17
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Killerz187 wrote:

So would it be better for my score to pay it all off in one chunk, or pay it off over the course of 2-3 months?

Doesn't really matter.  The look at current utilization.  Just make sure that your lower utilization is reported before you start applying.

@Killerz187 wrote:

Any specific cards I should go for?

What are your goals and priorities?  What's the majority of your spend?  Do you need a card for travel?  Day to day use?  Looking for cash back?  Points?  If you want recommendations you have to give people something to work with no matter what the topic.

Message 16 of 17
Killerz187

I don't travel a whole lot, and cash back would be best. I wouldn't be using the card for every day purchases, mainly for computer hardware and/or car parts. I don't spend too much per month, only in emergencies.

But the new card would be used for expensive parts that I would pay off frequently, which is why I was looking for something with a low interest rate. 

First few months the spending would be at a decent amount, then it would slowly ramp down between hardware releases and when I don't break parts on my car lol

My goals are to get a higher credit score for sure, north of 750 eventually, for when I move out. Not looking to open an excessive amount of accounts, learned from my parents not to do that. 

Sorry for the lack of info, not used to this thing yet.

Discover it: $3500
Chase Freedom: $3000
Amex BCE: $2000
BofA Cash Rewards: $2000
5/3 Platinum Visa: $1000
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.