New Visitor
aerin731

When should I apply?

Basically I am a 21 year old college student with one year left until I graduate and (hopefully) go off grad school to pursue my Ph.D.  I'm trying to establish my credit, but I don't want to apply for cards that I don't actually want.  Currently I have a Citi Forward ($900 limit, opened in Feb. 2013) and a student Discover IT ($1500 limit, opened very recently in July 2013).  The cards I want to get are a Chase Freedom, an AMEX BCE, and a Citi ThankYou Preferred.  My question is, how long should I wait to apply for these cards and should I do them all at once or drawn out or in a particular order?

Other pertinent information:

- I make roughly $13,000 a year.

- When I received my Discover card it included a TU FICO score of 712.

- My TU report has 2 inquiries from the past year, and I think my EX report has two as well.  EQ has none that I know of, but I haven't checked it lately.

- I also had a car loan from Jan 2011 to Jan 2013.  It was paid off and the account was closed in good standing.

- No late payments/derogatory marks.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

09Lexie

Re: When should I apply?

Welcome to the forum! Chase likes to see 1 yr of rev cc history , Amex 6mos-1yr. I'd would try the pre-approval site for Chase and Citi and if nothing pops up , then Apply for Chase, Amex and Citi in Feb 2014

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}