Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When should I close Credit One?

tag
Bandit5160
Contributor

Re: When should I close Credit One?

I no longer want this card as I have absolutely zero need for it.  It is a holdover from when I was in rebuild mode from some financial hard times which lead to some poor credit card usage and a bankruptcy.  I have recovered now and have been approved for a lot of great cards!  I called these guys to close this account and told them I wanted to close it due to their monthly fees.  They agreed to waive all fees for the remainder of 2017.  So I will close this card in December.  In the meantime, it will remain in my bureau unused!  I don't think I should close it until it starts costing me something to keep it...let in help my total available credit and my average open account age.

Wells Fargo Active Cash (3K), Chase Amazon Prime Visa (5.6K), Discover It (18K), Chase Freedom Flex (5.7K), Capital One Quicksilver (6.75K), Apple Credit Card (6.5K), American Express Blue Cash Preferred (7.5K), Capital One Savor (5K), Costco Anywhere Visa Card by Citi (9K), Citi Double Cash MC (6K), Wells Fargo Propel AMEX (5K), Amazon Store Card (5K), Exxon Mobil Card (1.2K), Citi Best Buy Visa (6K), Shell Fuel Rewards MasterCard (4.2K), Bank Of America Cash Rewards MasterCard (8K), PayPal Credit (5K), Target RedCard (1.6K), FNBO BP Visa (5K), Synchrony MasterCard (7K), Fifth Third Bank Trio Mastercard (6.5K), Comenity King Size Card (1K), Wells Fargo Hotels.Com Rewards Visa (8.4K), Verizon Visa (5.5K), EBay MC (6.3K), Comenity Caesars Rewards Visa (5K). Sam’s Club MC (1.5K), My Walgreens MC (5K), Sony Card Visa (6.9K), My Chevrolet Rewards MC (9K), Wells Fargo Bilt MC (18K), AAA Cashback Rewards Visa (2K)

EQ 764 TU 772 EX 781
Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

When should I get rid of my hemorrhoids?
Message 12 of 19
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Best time to close a credit one is before you open oneSmiley Wink

You will continue to fall in their traps by waiving fees and such but at the end of the day, if you have been approved by better cards or majors, you dont need them anymore, they need you. Food for thoughtSmiley Happy
Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
When should I get rid of my hemorrhoids?

Don't close those out yet, they're offering double bonus if you hold tight for a few more weeks!

Message 14 of 19
Chickenpotpie
Frequent Contributor

You're pretty safe to close it, especially if you're only holding on to it for nostalgic reasons.

Message 15 of 19
Gregory1776
Valued Contributor

Back in march i got a preapproval for a credit one card and applied like an idiot. Thank goodness i was denied lmao! 😉

Close Credit one and try and do a PC with Capital One.

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gunsnlucas wrote:

@Bandit5160 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Have you check the Capital One upgrade link to see if you can upgrade your QS1 to QS, where there is no annual fee?

I don't have an upgrade link.  But I might call them one day and ask for that upgrade.  They did approve me for a 10K Dining Rewards Card with no AF recently so maybe they"ll let me change the QS1 to the QS too.

Here it's the link: https://verified.capitalone.com/sic-ui/#/esignin?Product=Card&Action=ProductUpgrade 

wow, thank you! I clicked that link and it turns out i had an upgrade available from my normal platnium card to a QS with 1.5% cash back. Currently i was recieving no cashback/points at all. I would have never known. This is awesome!

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lmao I got this card but I want to get rid of it. I only had it for 3 months now. But just put a better card in my wallet.
Message 18 of 19
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Why do you think companies like Credit One exist?

I see four possible reasons:

1. People don't know about no-credit-check, low/no fee secured cards available to the general public, like SDFCU offers.

2. People don't want to jump through the hoops of joining a CU.

3. People want to avoid any sort of stigma they associate with having a secured card, even if it's financially the most prudent thing.

4. People can and are willing to pay a $100-ish AF, but genuinely can't afford a $300 security deposit.

I think it's mostly #1 and #3.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.