tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

When should I get new CCs?

My current CCs are as follows:

AMEX Gold PR: NPSL

AMEX Everyday: 20K

Chase Sapphire: 6K

I would like to get a few more (probably Discover and Chase Freedom) to push up my total credit line but I am not sure when I should do that. All 3 of my FICO scores right now are right about 730 give or take a few points.

Is it worth it to take a couple HPs to get my total credit up or should I wait for one or two to fall off before I do that (probably about a year of so)?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: When should I get new CCs?

Why are you concerned about your credit score this moment?  Is there anything major you are trying to achieve with your finances currently or in the near future?  If not, then there's really no reason to be concerned about a tiny inquiry hit on your credit score.  Just do it.

On the other hand, if you're currently in the process for a mortgage application or in escrow, wait

Message 2 of 9
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I would like to get a few more (probably Discover and Chase Freedom) to push up my total credit line but I am not sure when I should do that. All 3 of my FICO scores right now are right about 730 give or take a few points.

Is it worth it to take a couple HPs to get my total credit up or should I wait for one or two to fall off before I do that (probably about a year of so)?

Gonna insert my standard "Discover and Freedom together are rather superfluous" argument here. They offer basically the same things during the year. Same caps. Same rewards. Now, with your CSP, it might be an edge towards Freedom since you can transfer the points between the two.

But if you are concerned about inquiries and only want to app for one, one of the two is fine. They are basically the same card.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Gonna insert my standard "Discover and Freedom together are rather superfluous" argument here. They offer basically the same things during the year. Same caps. Same rewards. Now, with your CSP, it might be an edge towards Freedom since you can transfer the points between the two.

But if you are concerned about inquiries and only want to app for one, one of the two is fine. They are basically the same card.

The Discover and Freedom categories haven't overlapped in the time that I've had both cards (Close to a year).

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The Discover and Freedom categories haven't overlapped in the time that I've had both cards (Close to a year).

Restaurants are overlapping in the second quarter.

Message 5 of 9
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

They do not typically overlap at the same time. My point was during the year, the categories tend to be the same at one point or another.

It's personal preference, some people don't mind having both. To me having two cards that are basically identical is superfluous. (This is as far as a standalone Freedom, not with a CSP, which increases the value somewhat)

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it were me I'd go ahead and app for what you want now. Your score should be fine to get approval for most prime cards out there, and the earlier you get the card you want, the better impact long term it will have on AAOA and you can request some CLIs a year from now.

I'd suggest adding a non category cash back card like Citi DC or Fidelity Amex.
Message 7 of 9
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
If it were me I'd go ahead and app for what you want now. Your score should be fine to get approval for most prime cards out there, and the earlier you get the card you want, the better impact long term it will have on AAOA and you can request some CLIs a year from now.

I'd suggest adding a non category cash back card like Citi DC or Fidelity Amex.

Exactly. Instead of adding a more or less duplicate card, why not round out with a good general spend cash back card? DC or Fidelity Amex are good ideas.

Message 8 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

They do not typically overlap at the same time. My point was during the year, the categories tend to be the same at one point or another.

It's personal preference, some people don't mind having both. To me having two cards that are basically identical is superfluous. (This is as far as a standalone Freedom, not with a CSP, which increases the value somewhat)

As always. depends on your needs.   IMO, superfluous cards would also offer identical rewards (or one would always be better than the other).    But if say you want 5% off some category you are always using, such as gas or restaurants, and the cards offer them in different quarters, you get 5% coverage for 6 months.   Or if you spend a lot and exceed the cap, it's helpful even if they are in the same quarter.

But if those situations don't apply, yes, don't get both!   And maybe don't get either for that matter!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.