Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When should i garden ???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

When should i garden ???

I've recently got about 6 store cards to help boost my credit. All from Synchrony. Now what should I do? What does gardening mean? Should I apply for more? Or work those? Please help!!!! Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
Pway
Valued Contributor

Re: When should i garden ???

I just read your other thread of all the approvals.  I would personally wait, you have gained quite a few cards on your app spree of store cards.  Six cards was not needed to boost your score, you only need three for maximum fico scoring.  

Gardening yes, a must as you are rebuilding your credit.  Don't app for any more cards.  Head over to the garden club and chat it up there.  I say give yourself atleast six months or more in the GC.  Work on what you have currently in your profile.  You want those cards to grow and opening credit lines like you have they will not.

We get so caught up in seeing the approved screen some times we forget the damage it does to our SCORES, AAOA, ETC.

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! I'm leaning a lot!! To the gardening I go! Thanks for reading.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just a reminder to you.  This forum is specifically for people to post about credit card approvals.  You have two threads that will be moved to other forums like 'credit cards'.  Thank you for your cooperation

Message 4 of 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I've recently got about 6 store cards to help boost my credit. All from Synchrony. Now what should I do? What does gardening mean? Should I apply for more? Or work those? Please help!!!! Thanks

My advice would be:

1 do not apply for any more cards for at least 6 months

2. do not ever apply for any more store cards

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

^ I was just about to say no more store cards. If you have more regular cards than store cards then sure but you don't want your profile flooded with them.
Message 6 of 8
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

6 cards just recently?. Go to the garden now.. If you don't most of your denials will be flooded with "most recent account opened to new" etc.. Let them age and score will grow.

On another note if you got the Walmart card take advantage of the free Fico Smiley Happy! And try getting SP CLI on them.
Message 7 of 8
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

Take it from someone who made the same mistake, stop. Go garden. I hope you only got cards you will actually use and didn't get them just because you could. Congrats on the cards but don't repeat my second mistake. That was not listening to these folks who have made these mistakes already. 

If I had mine to do over again I would get 2 cards, garden 6 months and wait to see the effect on my score over time. Then, if it went up high enough I would app for 2 more cards but prime cards. If I got denied or my score had not come up enough I would have gotten 2 more cards. Apping for several cards at once hurts your AAoA and getting them all at once will actually increase your chances of denials, the banks will see too many new accounts and HP's.

Experian: 677 (28) | TransUnion: 697 (27) | Equifax: 684 (6)
Gardening as of: 1-23-2018
Updated 1-25-18
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.