Did you mean: 

When to App for another Capital One

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: When to App for another Capital One

@Anonymous wrote:

Folks,

I'm not saying Capital one has horrible rewards or anything. I had a capital one platinum card for over 10 years, product changed to quicksilver not too long ago. 1.5% rewards is great, and although I started out with a tiny starting credit line, it grew over time. It's still not very high now, but I'm fine with that. On the other hand, I've had a chase card for the same amount of time as a capital one card, and it has more than doubled my capital one credit limit. I've had Discover for just over a year, and it has more than tripled my capital one credit line. I know I'm not the only one, I've seen posts here, elsewhere, and on other websites that shows other cards generally give higher limits. Of course I havn't taken any surveys of people or anything, but I'm following general patterns here.

Since OP's goal is to get a higher credit line, I think she or he should look elsewhere. OP already has QS1, she or he is getting 1.5% rewards already. What's the point of getting Venure when you have to pay an annual fee and it's not that much better than quicksilver (for business travelers it could be better, but OP said nothing about traveling a lot). If she or he gets another small credit line, then the spending limit is going to outweigh the amount of rewards that one could earn compared to the annual fees one would pay for QS1 and Venture.

Also there are other cards earning 2% or 5% on rotating categories. Some cards give real Fico scores, other cards give different benefits. These could be beneficial to OP. OP already gets credit tracker from capital one and no foregin transaction fees from Capital One. Why not look elsewhere to expand benefits?

you have to keep in mind the mastercards grow slower than the visas. that's why i said get out of that platinum game

Message 31 of 53
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

@EAJuggalo wrote:

Platinum you should be able to get in a month or two.  Venture one is about the same level if not a little higher than the QS, and both are considered below the Venture.  Stories around here are the Platinum can be turned into the standard QS at 3-4 months.  I'd suggest not even thinking about a Venture or V1 until scores are 700.  Visa Signature and World Mastercard are generally high limit cards that have some additional benefits, they usually come with higher annual fees and better rewards as well.

I have a venture world mc with $12,500 limit and all three of my scores are and were under 700.

QS1 3k --> QS 3.5k --> QS 12.5k --> 12.5k Venture --> 25.5k Venture if I combine

all in less than two years.

I also have 3 Visa Signature QS cards and they have $0 fees.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 32 of 53
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Please tell me what cards give dramatically more than 2% cash back on EVERY purchase with no min and no max with less than a $59 annual fee.

Thank you.

@Anonymous wrote:

They give small limits. Compare capital one credit lines compared to other rewards cards on this website, they're mostly considerably smaller. And also not much point in getting 2 cards from issuer and cancelling 1, that hurts your credit history and score. Only venture gives higher limits but it has an annual fee and not great rewards. There's much better cards out there, chase, discover, etc.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

Message 33 of 53
boober
Frequent Contributor

Shooting-For-800 wrote:

Please tell me what cards give dramatically more than 2% cash back on EVERY purchase with no min and no max with less than a $59 annual fee.

Thank you.

The Amazon Store card from Synchrony bank is one.

https://www.amazon.com/iss/credit/storecardmember?bypass=1

Message 34 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

the amazon store card is one what?
Message 35 of 53
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

@EAJuggalo wrote:

Platinum you should be able to get in a month or two.  Venture one is about the same level if not a little higher than the QS, and both are considered below the Venture.  Stories around here are the Platinum can be turned into the standard QS at 3-4 months.  I'd suggest not even thinking about a Venture or V1 until scores are 700.  Visa Signature and World Mastercard are generally high limit cards that have some additional benefits, they usually come with higher annual fees and better rewards as well.

I have a venture world mc with $12,500 limit and all three of my scores are and were under 700.

QS1 3k --> QS 3.5k --> QS 12.5k --> 12.5k Venture --> 25.5k Venture if I combine

all in less than two years.

I also have 3 Visa Signature QS cards and they have $0 fees.

Which I could see the OP doing if the rest of the profile looks like yours.  We don't know everything that's in the profile.  Looking at Credit Pulls the vast majority of the approvals are over 700 or longstanding customers of Cap One.  Looks like a lot depends on income level as well.  I am a Cap One customer with over a 700 and nothing shows up for me on pre-quals.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 36 of 53
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

LOL!  so now we are comparing major credit cards to store cards?  LOL!

Message 37 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

that's what i was wondering lol. and you clearly said "EVERY" purchase so idk where the amazon store card came into play as it's useless anywhere but amazon and you need the prime membership to even get the 5% so i am quite lost on where that came from...
Message 38 of 53
boober
Frequent Contributor

Seriously you guys? The Amazon store card is hands down just about the best card out there.

Everything's already pretty much cheaper at Amazon than everywhere else. Plus you get it delivered to your door 2 days later. At no extra charge.

And then you get 5% cashback off pretty much everything you buy there. For Prime members, you're not gonna do any better than that, anywhere else.

Pretty much everything I buy is from Amazon. Aside from the obvious stuff. Smiley Surprised

Message 39 of 53
boober
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
that's what i was wondering lol. and you clearly said "EVERY" purchase so idk where the amazon store card came into play as it's useless anywhere but amazon and you need the prime membership to even get the 5% so i am quite lost on where that came from...
Yup, he did say "EVERY" purchase, which as EVERY one who has ever shopped at Amazon knows, EVERYTHING there is already cheaper than anywhere else, and you get 5% cah back on "EVERY" purchase from them.
Not sure how that's so cunfusing. Have you never shopped at Amazon before?

Message 40 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.