cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to Apply?

tag
BlueRaider

When to Apply?

So I'm wondering when I should apply for a new CC. I had a foreclosure as of June 2012 so I know this won't be too friendly to many CC issuers. However I was able to hold onto my current 3 cards during the FC, a Capital One Venture Card (limit was lowered), a Discover Essential Card and a Kohl's Charge. I've kept the balances low (~10%), and I recently was able to get a used auto loan at 5.75% in August.

I've been getting the pre screened offers from the likes of Chase recently but I know that doesn't mean too much in terms of approval chances. I don't have any other negatives than the foreclosure and my credit history is 7 years old (2 paid off auto loans, no missed payments) and I have some deferred student loans. My credit score here for EQ is at 690.

Any input would be appreciated, but I'm thinking maybe wait until the FC is more than 2 years old?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: When to Apply?

After the 2 year mark your odds should improve greatly I would advise you to wait and just use the cards you have now while keeping their util the way you have been doing.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.