Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to Pay Balance/App

tag
tornadoguy
Regular Contributor

When to Pay Balance/App

Question for the experts out there.

My 6th statement just cut last night, if I want to PIF the balance but make sure a non-zero balance is reported can I PIF today? And if I pay in full today, how long does it usually take to get reflected in my reports for apping/score maximisation?

CK TU FAKO - 762, TU FICO - 781, EX Fako 734, EX FICO 764 - 3/29/2014
INQ: TU 4, EX 8, EQ 1 |
AMEX PRG (01/11), AMEX BCE (01/11): $2.5k, AMEX EDP (3/11): $6k Chase Freedom(07/13): $2k,
Barclay Arrival+ WMC (3/14): $6.3k, Barclays US Air MC (9/14): $2.5k, CSP (9/14): 12k
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

Re: When to Pay Balance/App

I would wait at least a few days after statement date. I have heard of people paying on the day after their statement cuts and it still reporting zero. If you have any credit monitoring service, wait til they tell you that you have a new balance reporting. If you don't, I'd give it four or five business days past statement cut.

Message 2 of 5
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@tornadoguy wrote:

Question for the experts out there.

My 6th statement just cut last night, if I want to PIF the balance but make sure a non-zero balance is reported can I PIF today? And if I pay in full today, how long does it usually take to get reflected in my reports for apping/score maximisation?

Normally, if you PIF after the statement cuts, and you make no further charges, the zero balance will post at the next statement cut. Usually you would pay before the statement cut so it reports the zero balance. I hope that was clear...lol...Smiley Tongue.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 3 of 5
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

You're a day late to get your statement to post a $0 balance. You need to pay, and owe $0 BEFORE the statement cuts. 

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 4 of 5
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@tornadoguy wrote:

And if I pay in full today, how long does it usually take to get reflected in my reports for apping/score maximisation?

Your reports are updated when the statement cuts.  It generally takes several days for the reports to update.  If you wanted a nonzero balance to report it will report.  Paying today (or tomorrow or any time in the future) isn't relevant to the balance reporting.  The CRA's don't all update simultaenously.  I've found TU to be the slowest.  If you want to ensure that the balance is reported then you might want to use a CMS to verify.

@SnackTrader wrote:

You're a day late to get your statement to post a $0 balance. You need to pay, and owe $0 BEFORE the statement cuts. 

While true that is not what the OP is asking.  OP wants a (nonzero) balance to report.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.