Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to app for Lowes card?

tag
750orbust
Frequent Contributor

When to app for Lowes card?

I'm going to be closing on my new house on Aug 19. Once that's done I'm going to be in desperate need of some new credit to make some vital repairs and improvements on the new house.

I have acquired a bunch of inquiries overs the last six months trying to establish the proper credit to qualify for my mortgage. I know those inquiries won't help me any but I still need to know what my options are as far as getting new credit for repairs. My current scores are all in the 665 range (give or take).

I basically want to know how difficult it will be for me to get credit through Lowes. If not a CC maybe qualifying for their contractor services plans such as a new roof and carpeting. Most of my credit history is fairly new (six months or less) but I do have four years on one account with perfect history. In fact all my accounts have perfect history.

How good of a chance do I have of obtaining credit through lowes?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Jutz
Valued Contributor

Re: When to app for Lowes card?

Well, this is relevant!

Just closed on my house in Late-June.  I had a few inquiries, but nothing shocking, 3-4 on each bureau or so.  Great UTIL, the only CC I have reporting a balance is my AMEX Gold.  I too have new credit from the past 12 months, 2 new cards, a new auto loan.  Scores range from 660-698 depending on model and bureau.  TU04 from Mortgage was only around 660, TU08 from WalMart on the other hand is 688. 

Decided to app for a couple cards prior to the mortgage reporting, figured a new account would dock me for a little while.  Got approved for Lowe's instantly at $650, but I called the GE backdoor and asked for a recon to $2k.  Approved for $2k without a hassle. (On the same day I was instantly approved for the Freedom at $3,500)

Edit:  You should know Lowe's card is backed by GE, which is really a great bank for retail cards.  Pretty relaxed standards, great CLI policies, easy recon.  I have some derogs in the form of late payments (including 1 90 day) and a 6.5 year old paid charge off.

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 2 of 5
750orbust
Frequent Contributor

I probably have between 8-10 inquiries at each bureau. Right now my utilization is low (6-8%) but of course my mortgage isn't reporting yet. It will probably be in the 40-45% margin when that happens. Like I said, my CS are all in the 665 range. Will Lowes approve me?

Has anyone here used Lowes contractor services? I'm wondering if their financing terms are as stringent as the card is to get. I figure (and I'm only hoping) that if I was to get approved for a lowes card, it would be a pretty low CL (even if its $2000 that's not enough to get the work done that I need) so I'm hoping that I can get a new roof and carpet through their contractor services. I'm not sure if GE backs that type of financing or if they do that through a different lender. I guess I just need to go to lowes and ask them but I'd sure like to hear from anyone with personal experience.
Message 3 of 5
thatoneguy28
Valued Member

there are no financing offers for lowes business accounts if thats what your asking.financing offers are only offered on the lowes consumer credit card.u do get 5 % off everday purchases if u sign up for a lowes business card or the lowes consumer credit card.lowes offers 6,12,and 18 month financing.we do offer an 84 month special financing with a fixed apr rate when u spend 3500 or more on cabinets.both accounts are backed by GE except for the lowes business rewards american express.hope this helps u..

(current lowes employee-6.5 yrs)

Message 4 of 5
Jutz
Valued Contributor

If you're looking to finance the entirety of the roof and carpet it's going to be more income based than anything.  (Not overall, but in your situation I'd say so).  665 is high enough to get non-toy limits, but to get $10k+, which I assume if what you're after, you need either sky high credit or pretty high income.  That's not to say I won't get my $2k over 10k eventually, but right out the gate it wasn't going to happen.

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.