Established Member
sal2009

When to apply Amex SPG?

how long until I shld apply for he Amex spg card? I just recently got accepted for Amex premier rewards gold charge...after multiple recon attempts..had to get manual review bc of old cancelled bk account. I really wanted spg card but got prg bc I heard charge cards easier to get approved. Figured after using a bit

of using prg I would apply. Advice as to when?

Established Contributor
Koop10010

Re: When to apply Amex SPG?

Since Amex seems to only record a hard pull upon approval, I'd suggest applying in January to get it backdated to Jan. 2012.  If denied, try again every month if you want to, though I might suggest every 3 or so months.

FICOs (2/24/12): EX 752, EQ 740
Chase Sapphire Preferred, Freedom; American Express PR Gold, Blue Cash Everyday
ionred

Koop10010 wrote:

Since Amex seems to only record a hard pull upon approval, I'd suggest applying in January to get it backdated to Jan. 2012.  If denied, try again every month if you want to, though I might suggest every 3 or so months.

Wow. Did I understand that right? If you apply for an Amex Credit or Charge card you only get dinged with a hard pull if they approve you and don't hit your CR with any marks if they deny you? If so, very cool! 

Valued Contributor
creditnocash

ionred wrote:

Koop10010 wrote:

Wow. Did I understand that right? If you apply for an Amex Credit or Charge card you only get dinged with a hard pull if they approve you and don't hit your CR with any marks if they deny you? If so, very cool! 

if your a amex member yes thats correct. 

Current: Discover Fico 689 8/14 Walmart Fico 689 9/14

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 3 TU 0 EX 0 | Most Recent: 09/05/2014

2014 Goals:
Lower Utility
47%(OUCH!!)
Freedom Signature

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$2900
Citi Diamond Preferred$6000
Citizens Mastercard$7000
ionred

creditnocash wrote:

ionred wrote:

Koop10010 wrote:

Ah, so non members get treated the same as if you're app'ing with any other company. It's just once you're in the door and applying for a new line they start to ignore the hard pulls on denials?

Established Contributor
Koop10010

ionred wrote:

creditnocash wrote:

ionred wrote:

Koop10010 wrote:

Ah, so non members get treated the same as if you're app'ing with any other company. It's just once you're in the door and applying for a new line they start to ignore the hard pulls on denials?

Should have clarified that.  Yes, as an existing Amex cardmember, future applications seem to only result in hard pulls upon approval.

FICOs (2/24/12): EX 752, EQ 740
Chase Sapphire Preferred, Freedom; American Express PR Gold, Blue Cash Everyday

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+