Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Reply
Established Member
Posts: 16
Registered: ‎05-31-2012
0

When to apply Amex SPG?

how long until I shld apply for he Amex spg card? I just recently got accepted for Amex premier rewards gold charge...after multiple recon attempts..had to get manual review bc of old cancelled bk account. I really wanted spg card but got prg bc I heard charge cards easier to get approved. Figured after using a bit

of using prg I would apply. Advice as to when?

Established Contributor
Posts: 731
Registered: ‎02-15-2012
0

Re: When to apply Amex SPG?

Since Amex seems to only record a hard pull upon approval, I'd suggest applying in January to get it backdated to Jan. 2012.  If denied, try again every month if you want to, though I might suggest every 3 or so months.

FICOs (2/24/12): EX 752, EQ 740
Chase Sapphire Preferred, Freedom; American Express PR Gold, Blue Cash Everyday
New Member
Posts: 12
Registered: ‎10-03-2012
0

Re: When to apply Amex SPG?


Koop10010 wrote:

Since Amex seems to only record a hard pull upon approval, I'd suggest applying in January to get it backdated to Jan. 2012.  If denied, try again every month if you want to, though I might suggest every 3 or so months.


Wow. Did I understand that right? If you apply for an Amex Credit or Charge card you only get dinged with a hard pull if they approve you and don't hit your CR with any marks if they deny you? If so, very cool! 

Valued Contributor
Posts: 2,299
Registered: ‎07-23-2012
0

Re: When to apply Amex SPG?


ionred wrote:

Koop10010 wrote:

Since Amex seems to only record a hard pull upon approval, I'd suggest applying in January to get it backdated to Jan. 2012.  If denied, try again every month if you want to, though I might suggest every 3 or so months.


Wow. Did I understand that right? If you apply for an Amex Credit or Charge card you only get dinged with a hard pull if they approve you and don't hit your CR with any marks if they deny you? If so, very cool! 


if your a amex member yes thats correct. 

Current: Discover Fico 709 3/15 Walmart Fico 743 4/15

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 6 TU 1 EX 6 | Most Recent: 4/09/2015
Over 12 Months:9


2015 Goals:
Lower Utility
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000
Highlighted
New Member
Posts: 12
Registered: ‎10-03-2012
0

Re: When to apply Amex SPG?


creditnocash wrote:

ionred wrote:

Koop10010 wrote:

Since Amex seems to only record a hard pull upon approval, I'd suggest applying in January to get it backdated to Jan. 2012.  If denied, try again every month if you want to, though I might suggest every 3 or so months.


Wow. Did I understand that right? If you apply for an Amex Credit or Charge card you only get dinged with a hard pull if they approve you and don't hit your CR with any marks if they deny you? If so, very cool! 


if your a amex member yes thats correct. 


Ah, so non members get treated the same as if you're app'ing with any other company. It's just once you're in the door and applying for a new line they start to ignore the hard pulls on denials?

Established Contributor
Posts: 731
Registered: ‎02-15-2012
0

Re: When to apply Amex SPG?


ionred wrote:

creditnocash wrote:

ionred wrote:

Koop10010 wrote:

Since Amex seems to only record a hard pull upon approval, I'd suggest applying in January to get it backdated to Jan. 2012.  If denied, try again every month if you want to, though I might suggest every 3 or so months.


Wow. Did I understand that right? If you apply for an Amex Credit or Charge card you only get dinged with a hard pull if they approve you and don't hit your CR with any marks if they deny you? If so, very cool! 


if your a amex member yes thats correct. 


Ah, so non members get treated the same as if you're app'ing with any other company. It's just once you're in the door and applying for a new line they start to ignore the hard pulls on denials?


Should have clarified that.  Yes, as an existing Amex cardmember, future applications seem to only result in hard pulls upon approval.

FICOs (2/24/12): EX 752, EQ 740
Chase Sapphire Preferred, Freedom; American Express PR Gold, Blue Cash Everyday
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.