Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to apply for 3rd credit card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: When to apply for 3rd credit card?

I think being an AMEX authorized user is what is requiring me to make an account then.

So, the question would be if too apply for:

1. Amex Everyday or Blue Cash Everyday (I'm assuming the odds for approval are the same and the only difference is cash back vs rewards)

2. Capital One QS

Wouldn't I have better chances with AMEX, given that I'm already an authorized user for one of their credit cards?

Also, when should I apply given that I would have 4 inquiries since Feb 2016:

1,2. Amazon: I don't know why I have two inquiries five days apart for the amazon store card. (Feb 2016)

3. Chase: declined due to not enough credit history (July 2016)

4. Discover: in process and hoping for approval (Nov 2016)

Message 21 of 46
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

INQ's are fine.  

1. Underwirting for both of them are the same.  The difference comes in when you're apping for credit vs charge

2. You can always apply for the QS after AMEX since C1 will hit all 3 CR's for an Inquiry

Message 22 of 46
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum, but have read very useful information on here, so I thought I would join in Smiley Happy

I'm a 25-year-old medical student with no real income (since I'm a student), but I also don't have a loan, as my parents are generous enough to pay for my education.

About my credit history:

I was approved in Feb 2016 for the amazon store card ($1700), then made the mistake of applying for the Chase Freedom Unlimited on July 2016, since Credit Karma stated my chances of approval as "Very High", but Chase told me was my credit history was not enough and told me they needed to see "at least 9 months".

Amazon store card history: I always pay on time and my max usage was around $400, but I paid it off already.

Now, I waited until today to apply for a Discover Student Card, and they have asked me to upload proof of my identity. I'm not waiting for their response. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read a post on this forum that proof of identity probably means an acceptance.

My question is when to apply for a 3rd credit card and what card would be best.

I'm worried about graduating from Med School and not having access to low interest rates due to not enough credit history.

Thank you everyone.

What card will be best is going to be subjective and depend on your needs. I would certainly not apply for a third card until you have at minimum 6 months of history. Since you don't have other forms of credit on your report my advice would be just use the two cards for a year of history and then you will be in a pretty strong position to pick up some more. If you insist on going for a third card prematurely then I would strongly recommend you only consider cards that allow you to do soft pull credit line increase requests. I believe you can do a SP CLI with the discover card.  Look into lenders like cap 1, amex. Cap 1 will likely give out a larger credit line than other lenders. Amex is good about giving credit line increases over time. I would avoid lenders who require hardpulls for credit line increases because you may get a card with a low limit and then have a hard time growing it later. Once you are out of school and have income with a year of revolver history you will be in a much much stronger position. Keep in mind that credit is not a race. You can pick up a bunch of cards but there will be consequences. You may run afoul of the chase 5/24 rule and then you will not be able to get cards you might want from Chase. I don't know if any of those cards appeal to you, but you mentioned the freedom card.  

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 23 of 46
joltdude
Senior Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum, but have read very useful information on here, so I thought I would join in Smiley Happy

I'm a 25-year-old medical student with no real income (since I'm a student), but I also don't have a loan, as my parents are generous enough to pay for my education.

About my credit history:

I was approved in Feb 2016 for the amazon store card ($1700), then made the mistake of applying for the Chase Freedom Unlimited on July 2016, since Credit Karma stated my chances of approval as "Very High", but Chase told me was my credit history was not enough and told me they needed to see "at least 9 months".

Amazon store card history: I always pay on time and my max usage was around $400, but I paid it off already.

Now, I waited until today to apply for a Discover Student Card, and they have asked me to upload proof of my identity. I'm not waiting for their response. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read a post on this forum that proof of identity probably means an acceptance.

My question is when to apply for a 3rd credit card and what card would be best.

I'm worried about graduating from Med School and not having access to low interest rates due to not enough credit history.

Thank you everyone.

What card will be best is going to be subjective and depend on your needs. I would certainly not apply for a third card until you have at minimum 6 months of history. Since you don't have other forms of credit on your report my advice would be just use the two cards for a year of history and then you will be in a pretty strong position to pick up some more. If you insist on going for a third card prematurely then I would strongly recommend you only consider cards that allow you to do soft pull credit line increase requests. I believe you can do a SP CLI with the discover card.  Look into lenders like cap 1, amex. Cap 1 will likely give out a larger credit line than other lenders. Amex is good about giving credit line increases over time. I would avoid lenders who require hardpulls for credit line increases because you may get a card with a low limit and then have a hard time growing it later. Once you are out of school and have income with a year of revolver history you will be in a much much stronger position. Keep in mind that credit is not a race. You can pick up a bunch of cards but there will be consequences. You may run afoul of the chase 5/24 rule and then you will not be able to get cards you might want from Chase. I don't know if any of those cards appeal to you, but you mentioned the freedom card.  

Not going to agree with you on this one...

Having only an Amazon Store card and a Discover.. needs something from another processor.... Having only the Discover card to rely on?....

So midas well have another card thats on a different network and can age at the same time...

Message 24 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was concerned at the 5/24 rule, since I'm already at 4.

If my INQs are fine, then I'll give the AMEX a try after being approved for the Discover Card.

Worst case scenenario, I won't apply for any new credit card until at least 1 year. Just want to make sure that my approval odds are high for the AMEX.

Message 25 of 46
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

5/24 is for Chase not anyone else.

Message 26 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's a relief. Guess I won't be applying for a Chase card until Feb 2018 Smiley Indifferent

Message 27 of 46
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Think of it more as an investment for Chase to compete with once the 5/24 expires.  Chase likes to compete with other high limits instead of being the first to issue one.  While you're gardening you'll end up with some nice limits when hitting the CLI trains on each card every other month or so depending on the card.

Message 28 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will! Smiley Happy Thank you and everyone else for the helpful posts!

I'll update as soon as I get a reply for my Discover application.

Message 29 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting impatient, so I can gave them a call and told me the same thing: "Your application is being processed and I will receive an answer by mail in around 7-10 days."

The "answer by mail" part worries me that I will be declined Smiley Sad

App status page shows the same verification document upload page...Please someone tell me this is normal

Message 30 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.