Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to apply for 3rd credit card?

tag
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Re: When to apply for 3rd credit card?

This is the Discover one that's pending?  It's the holiday week so, there may be a delay with everyone taking time off for the holiday.  I'd kick back and relax.... it's out of your hands and from the history I've seen they usually don't request docs just to do a decline.

Message 31 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, it is the discover. I also thought it might be the holidays.

Thinking about trying a credit limit increase for my Amazon card, but the CSR couldn't guarantee it would be a soft pull...I've never read of a HP for an Amazon store card credit increase, but I don't trust my luck.

Also, not sure why I always get my Transunion used for HP. Got 4 in there, while only 1 for Equifax that will be 2 years old next February (it was from Citibank Best Buy).

Message 32 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

So still waiting on Discover, but couldn't take waiting any longer, so I decided to test my luck with the Amazon CLI.

To my surprise....instant CLI to $3700!! (up from $1700)

But, I'm not done here...I kept thinking about that AMEX BCE, so I thought screw it. I applied and after verification...approved for $2000!!

Thinking about trying one more app before going back to the garden. Maybe Citi, since my Equifax only shows 1 HP from Feb 2015 and it was from Citi/Best Buy.

Any suggestions?

Message 33 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

So still waiting on Discover, but couldn't take waiting any longer, so I decided to test my luck with the Amazon CLI.

To my surprise....instant CLI to $3700!! (up from $1700)

But, I'm not done here...I kept thinking about that AMEX BCE, so I thought screw it. I applied and after verification...approved for $2000!!

Thinking about trying one more app before going back to the garden. Maybe Citi, since my Equifax only shows 1 HP from Feb 2015 and it was from Citi/Best Buy.

Any suggestions?

It's a bit of work, but worth it in the long term - I'd go for NFCU.  Instructions on how to apply as a civilian are Here.

Edit - better instructions actually HERE

Good luck!

Message 34 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was more familiar with Penfed, but from what I have read in this forum, NFCU seems more flexible with their approvals.

Thanks for that info! I'll definetely look into that.

Message 35 of 46
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum, but have read very useful information on here, so I thought I would join in Smiley Happy

I'm a 25-year-old medical student with no real income (since I'm a student), but I also don't have a loan, as my parents are generous enough to pay for my education.

About my credit history:

I was approved in Feb 2016 for the amazon store card ($1700), then made the mistake of applying for the Chase Freedom Unlimited on July 2016, since Credit Karma stated my chances of approval as "Very High", but Chase told me was my credit history was not enough and told me they needed to see "at least 9 months".

Amazon store card history: I always pay on time and my max usage was around $400, but I paid it off already.

Now, I waited until today to apply for a Discover Student Card, and they have asked me to upload proof of my identity. I'm now waiting for their response. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read a post on this forum that proof of identity probably means an acceptance.

My question is when to apply for a 3rd credit card and what card would be best.

I'm worried about graduating from Med School and not having access to low interest rates due to not enough credit history.

Thank you everyone.

1. That is correct; if they're verifying your identity, you've probably been accepted.

2. You can apply now for a Capital One card. Check their prequalifications. If you're prequalified for Quicksilver, get that one. If not, apply for the Capital One Platinum.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 36 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

Checked Capital one, but can't input my address since I don't have an address in the Mainland.

Also, I'll make a new thread since I already got approved for the AMEX, and assuming that I'm also approved for the Discover, I would be looking for my 4th card.

Thanks for the info. Capital One is on top of my list for when I move to the mainland in 2 years.

Message 37 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thought I would update this thread for reference. Applied for the Marvel Mastercard and approved after verification for $3000.

Still waiting on Discover...

Message 38 of 46
azguy13
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thought I would update this thread for reference. Applied for the Marvel Mastercard and approved after verification for $3000.

I'm going to chain you up in the Garden, haha. 

Message 39 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@azguy13 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm going to chain you up in the Garden, haha. 

Please do lol. It's for my own good.

Message 40 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.