Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to apply for a new CITI card?

tag
mahendra82
Contributor

When to apply for a new CITI card?

I recently got the Citiforward and Citi started me at 4k. I'd like to apply for Citi AAdvantage for the bonus miles. How soon do you think I should establish my account with them before I can apply?

I haven't checked my real fico yet, but my credit secure FAKO, which I know is not correlated with real fico, is about 728.  My AAOA is 2.7 years, and I've opened SEVERAL accounts over the past year (Discover, Amex, BOA Visa Sig, Amazon Store Card, Dell, Paypal).  

Thanks in advance. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
vish1
Valued Contributor

Re: When to apply for a new CITI card?

@mahendra82 wrote:

I recently got the Citiforward and Citi started me at 4k. I'd like to apply for Citi AAdvantage for the bonus miles. How soon do you think I should establish my account with them before I can apply?

I haven't checked my real fico yet, but my credit secure FAKO, which I know is not correlated with real fico, is about 728.  My AAOA is 2.7 years, and I've opened SEVERAL accounts over the past year (Discover, Amex, BOA Visa Sig, Amazon Store Card, Dell, Paypal).  

Thanks in advance. 

AA is one of the tougest cards to get from citi. Having opened so many cards in 1 year, you may be really borderline. If you decide to pull the trigger, good luck.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 2 of 6
smc733
Valued Contributor

@vish1 wrote:

@mahendra82 wrote:

Thanks in advance. 

AA is one of the tougest cards to get from citi. Having opened so many cards in 1 year, you may be really borderline. If you decide to pull the trigger, good luck.

I'm with this, I'm positive Citi will decline you right now.  Wait until all your accounts are 1 year +.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 3 of 6
mahendra82
Contributor

Sounds good. I hope they'll have the promo then. Thanks for the advice!

Message 4 of 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

One thing about promos --they keep coming back. Smiley Wink

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 6
smc733
Valued Contributor

@mahendra82 wrote:

Sounds good. I hope they'll have the promo then. Thanks for the advice!

Yep, they should have the promo then.  And you'll have a nice history, so they're more likely to give you a sizable limit.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.