Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to apply for another credit card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

When to apply for another credit card?

I am new to the credit world as of 3 months ago. I wanted to start building my credit so I talked to my bank and we decided to apply for the PNC cash builder. Two weeks later I was denied. The same day I got the letter I did some research and applied for the capital one student journey card. I was approved in less than a minute with a $300 credit limit. I am very good with money and finances for my age (21) and really would love to get another card with higher cash back. I currently get 1-1.25% cash back with my journey card. I really love everything about the sams club master card because it earns 5% on gas, 3% on travel/dinning, and 1% on everything else. No annual fee and it has special financing offers such as no interest on tv's, computers, tires, jewelry, etc. I don't want to apply and get denied because I will have to wait a few months to try again so I just want to know when is a good time to apply? I have a TU score of 722 and no debt. 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: When to apply for another credit card?

i would try with the Discover It. They arevery liberal with CL IMO

Message 2 of 10
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Have you tried any of the pre-qualifiers?  I don't think you will get anything from Chase or Citi, but Amex, Barclays and Discover might be possible.  Discover tends to like people who have few accounts and young credit age.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

On the discover website I was pre qualified for the it card but I'm not sure if it says that for everyone or it's really pre approved. 

Message 4 of 10
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Mixed reviews with discover pre-qual. I applied when i got a mailer and got approved, but others have said before that you can put in mickey mouse and it might come up with a offer. Of which i feel like mickey mouse could use a discover card Smiley Tongue Its not a guarantee long story short.. If you dont have a lot of inqs its worth a shot i believe discover does give out a starting limit (500) to new credit people. However for a better shot wait like 6 - 12 mos with current card always pay on time and then try.

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 5 of 10
red259
Super Contributor

If you prequal for the discover card I would go for it. You don't have that many inqs and if your going to wait 6-12 months anyway you won't do much harm taking a shot since the inq will age off. I think having two cards would help with building your credit rating. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with the Discover. Sams may be a little dificult to get. Most likely a denial from the start but maybe recon can get it approved but try for that after about a year of credit history.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I took the leap and after they asked me for more information about my ocupation, degree, and savings account... I got approved! They said nothing about my CL or APR? Capital One told me when I applied online... 

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!

Message 9 of 10
diphendrix
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:

On the discover website I was pre qualified for the it card but I'm not sure if it says that for everyone or it's really pre approved. 

whenever you want to see about a pre-qual link, go thru the prompts again and put down fake info.  i had this same concern with discover when i put my real info in and was prequalified.  i closed the page, reopened it and entered a fake name, fake last 4 of social, fake everything........and guess what? i was prequalified lol

BK7 Discharge: Feb 2014 Starting Score: 579 Current FICO Score: 656

Goal Score: 660 short | 800+ long Goals Hit: 2 Active Cards: 6

Gardening Since: June 2014 Garden Goal: December 2014

Wish List: Chase Slate | Chase Disney | Discover IT | Barclays NFL Sig
CapOne QuicksilverOne : CL: $300CapOne Classic Platinum : CL: $300CapOne Sony : CL: $500J Crew : CL: $450Express NextVS Angel

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.