Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to apply for credit after getting a loan

tag
mizvalentine
Established Member

When to apply for credit after getting a loan

So, I desperately need two things at the moment: a car and a computer, both related to work and can't really be put off.

The car was slightly more urgent, so I apped for a car loan at my CU and got preapproved for $11k @ 6.24%, no money down, which is great! I'm getting the car this weekend.

However, I also need a new Mac...and I'm not sure how to go about it.  I've heard Apple credit/financing is hard to come by.   What's my best move without killing my FICOs? Currently I'm TU 676, EQ 679...that's after the inquiry from the CU but the loan hasn't been signed yet so it hasn't posted to my credit report. 

I'm not sure of a couple things:

1) will the loan help or hurt my scores when it posts to my report?

2) is it better to app for computer credit now or in a few months from now (not sure I can wait, but...)

3) is it better to app for Apple credit or just try going thru my CU for a new credit card?  My utilization is high (60%ish) on my one credit card right now, because I use it for my freelance business and it gets a lot of travel charges in the summer.  It'll be paid off in the next couple months but right now I think my utilization looks bad...do I stand a chance of even getting another cc?

Thanks!!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: When to apply for credit after getting a loan

@mizvalentine wrote:

So, I desperately need two things at the moment: a car and a computer, both related to work and can't really be put off.

@Anonymous car was slightly more urgent, so I apped for a car loan at my CU and got preapproved for $11k @ 6.24%, no money down, which is great! I'm getting the car this weekend.

However, I also need a new Mac...and I'm not sure how to go about it.  I've heard Apple credit/financing is hard to come by.   What's my best move without killing my FICOs? Currently I'm TU 676, EQ 679...that's after the inquiry from the CU but the loan hasn't been signed yet so it hasn't posted to my credit report. 

I'm not sure of a couple things:

1) will the loan help or hurt my scores when it posts to my report? --if you don't have any other installment accounts, it will help, although there might initially be a drop in score, but it should quickly recover

2) is it better to app for computer credit now or in a few months from now (not sure I can wait, but...) --I'd go with a general Visa/MC rather than specifically a computer credit/ Apple account. See below.

3) is it better to app for Apple credit or just try going thru my CU for a new credit card?  My utilization is high (60%ish) on my one credit card right now, because I use it for my freelance business and it gets a lot of travel charges in the summer.  It'll be paid off in the next couple months but right now I think my utilization looks bad...do I stand a chance of even getting another cc? --I've read lots of posts that whoever underwrites Apple credit doesn't extend enough to get the job done. The high balance being paid down is a good example of why you might want to approach your CU on this. CU loan officers generally have the authority to look at indvidual situations and track records and decide if you're a good bet, unlike the process at most big-boy banks.

Thanks!!

Just my thoughts, and I'm sure that others will chime in as well.

I hear ya on the Mac. After suffering with a Windows laptop for a couple of years, I returned to Apple, and now (literally) I'm on a 15" MacBook Pro. Yes, the price was steep, but it was so worth it.

I went online to the Apple store and ordered from the refurb'd models, and that saved money. As it turns out, the guy, sorry, Genius at the Apple Store said that it was a brand-new model and was probably returned out of buyer remorse. No guarantee that that would happen for you, of course, but you might want to think about it as an option.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 9
mizvalentine
Established Member

Thanks for the advice!  I'm definitely shopping Apple refurb, I've had good luck with them in the past... unfortunately my trade is design so I've got to get a fairly powerful machine and its gonna run me a fortune! And from what I'm reading here, Apple doesn't tend to finance very much.

Sounds like Visa via my CU is the best bet, I was kinda thinking that.  Does the timing matter?  Should I wait til the loan is signed before apping for a cc with them, or is it better to get it now before I take a (potential) score drop when the loan hits?

Message 3 of 9
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Didn't they forget something?

Devoted mother of twelve
Longtime upstanding citizen
Chair of Fern & Cat Relations

Smiley Very Happy

Love my Mac too.

Message 4 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous-own-fico wrote:

Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Didn't they forget something?

Devoted mother of twelve
Longtime upstanding citizen
Chair of Fern & Cat Relations

Smiley Very Happy

Love my Mac too.

lol, it does have an obituary flavor to it, doesn't it? Smiley Very Happy I was quite startled when I logged on this morning.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Check out the Amazon Store card, they were offering 24 month 0% on $999 purchases.

The Apple Finance card is pretty easy to get but people often end up with $500 CL which does not buy you a computer

Message 6 of 9
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Btw, isn't there something about extended warranty supported by some cards? Say you buy a Mac and put it on your Platinum Amex.

Message 7 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous-own-fico wrote:

Btw, isn't there something about extended warranty supported by some cards? Say you buy a Mac and put it on your Platinum Amex.

The nice thing about Mac's is you can get AppleCare, highly recommend, that pays for repairs.

The amex would just extend regular warranty I think by 6 months or if you break it in the first 3 months they replace it... not positive of exact specifics but something to those effects.

Message 8 of 9
bakalao2k
Frequent Contributor

If the credit union gives you a $11K check, then you should pay $9K-$10K for the car and use the rest to buy a Macbook.

TU - 737 - 02/21/09, 769 - 02/06/10, 795 - 09/08/10
EQ - 758 - 02/21/09, 783 - 02/06/10, 805 - 09/08/10
EX (PLUS) - 781 03/23/09, 787 - 02/06/10, 783 - 08/09/10
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.