Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to apply?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

When to apply?

Well. I just paid a judgment today. The second to the last negative on my CR. One more to go for a water company I owe.

Question is, I hear that once paying off some debt, your score may lower in the short run. I just paid one judgment today and 2 out of 3 collections yesterday. My score at this moment on EQ (don't know the rest) is 546. That leads me to ask. Should I apply now for a CC just in case it DOES lower after the paid collections... Or should I wait a few months and hope it gets better then apply then? I'm paying off my last collection today or tomorrow. Then I'll be free and clear. (At least paid on all collections)

The only good standing I have is a car loan that's early and on time for almost 2 years. No other revolving accounts.

And last question, after all research, I see that Orchard's a good way to go if credit is bad... Any other suggestions from anyone? I'm planning on Orchard. I don't want a bunch of inquiries so please suggest ones MOST likely to approve. Thanks!!!
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
heirophant
Established Contributor

Re: When to apply?

Orchard approved me with an unpaid judgement.  Hope that helps.  I have since paid, disputed, and had the judgements removed.  I had to because it said the judgement wasn't paid like 6 months after I had paid it.  I just disputed it as paid.  I guess they never got back to the CRA's b/c the judgement got deleted from my CR's and my score jumped by 20 points overnight...sweet.  Orchard gives crappy CL's and CLI's, though.  I would attempt Capital One.  They also approved me when I had an unpaid judgement.  They are better at CLI's.  Got an initial $300 line with them.  Now, 6 months later, it is $1000.
Scores: TU (FICO8): 781, EQ (FICO8): 798, EX (FICO8): 788

In my wallet: Chase Sapphire Preferred: 16,000 | Chase Slate Edge: 8,100 | Bilt World Elite Mastercard: 16,000 | Fidelity Rewards Visa Signature: 8,500 | PenFed Visa Gold: 12,500 | Penfed Pathfinder: 15,000 | Apple Card: 6,500 | Lowe's: 35,000 | Northern Skies FCU Platinum: 15,000 | Kohls: 3,000

Mortgage 11/20
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm laughing... Everyone I ask says I should go to Cap One when I ask where it's easy to get a card...

BUT... everyone, guess who's judgment I just paid today? Yep. Capital One.

So yeah, I think I'm blacklisted from them foreverrrrr.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm laughing... Everyone I ask says I should go to Cap One when I ask where it's easy to get a card...

BUT... everyone, guess who's judgment I just paid today? Yep. Capital One.

So yeah, I think I'm blacklisted from them foreverrrrr.

I don't think Cap 1 blacklist.

BTW, I hope those were PFD's for those collections you were doing.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I'd tried 2-3 times on each one and kept getting the "we don't do that here, you have to take that up with the bureau" answer. So I just went ahead and paid them. Unfortunately I didn't send letters for the PFDs, I asked over the phone. I already got an answer from a different post saying I SHOULD have sent letters since phone people don't care. Honestly, those debts were just driving me crazy so I just wanted them paid and want my conscience clear. I just don't have the patience to wait. My waiting and not paying got me in my Cap One judgment to begin with. Smiley Sad I know it's better to try for a PFD but unfortunately knowing me, I'll get anxious and underpatient and end up paying it anyway. Right now, I'm just praying and crossing fingers that since I DID pay them, karma will work with me on the GW letters I'm sending out.

Message Edited by slove1106 on 02-08-2008 03:08 PM

Message Edited by slove1106 on 02-08-2008 03:09 PM
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well as long as you know what is best for you.

Now you can try GW's.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.