Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to ask for CLI -- Discover?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

When to ask for CLI -- Discover?

Hey guys,

Third month is coming up and I'll be able to request a CLI this weekend. 

However, only my 2nd statement has been generated, not my third, which will be generated by the end of this month.

I've spent over 8 times my credit limit (500) up to this point. 

Question: Would it more favorable to apply for a CLI when I reach my third month, or should I wait until my 3rd statement generates? 

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: When to ask for CLI -- Discover?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey guys,

Third month is coming up and I'll be able to request a CLI this weekend. 

However, only my 2nd statement has been generated, not my third, which will be generated by the end of this month.

Question: Would it more favorable to apply for a CLI when I reach my third month, or should I wait until my 3rd statement generates? 

I'm certainly not the 'definitive expert' on Discover CLIs, but for my own, I plan to just wait until after the third statement is generated. 

It might not matter, but it's only a few days more, and (to me) there's no point in taking a chance at missing out on what could be a nice CLI!  Smiley Happy

Others here who have more experience with Discover might be able to provide more data points...

Message 2 of 14
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

As with any CLI with any creditor it's not simply a matter of time and/or spend but what your credit and income qualify for.  I doubled my Discover CL at 3 months but YMMV.  Given that our initial limits were very different I'd say YM will probably V.

Message 3 of 14
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

It may be a YMMV thing but definately wait until the statement is generated. For me it's alway a few days after the statement and have ben pretty successful with that. 

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can ask for a CLI from Discover after your 3rd statement generates but there is no guarantee. There are many members on this forum, including me, that had to wait a year or more to earn our first SP CLI from Discover.

If you are denied or they want to do a HP, it's a good indicator that you need to establish a history with them (beyond 3 months) before requesting another CLI. Good luck!

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was told by Discover rep that I could apply for a CLI 90 after I opened my account. Indeed I applied for a CLI on day 91 and was approved. At the 91 day mark, only 2 statements had been generated.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I was told by Discover rep that I could apply for a CLI 90 after I opened my account. Indeed I applied for a CLI on day 91 and was approved. At the 91 day mark, only 2 statements had been generated.

I'm just going to try this weekend (3rd month). 

Message 7 of 14
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If your lazy like me and don't want to bother using the calendar to figure out 91 days, here's a site that'll do the work for you:

http://www.timeanddate.com/date/dateadd.html

Just put in your account opening date, tell it how many days to add (91), and it will figure the exact date you can go for your CLI!

(I know I'm lazy... actually, I'm afraid I'd be off by a day... LOL)  Smiley Tongue

Message 8 of 14
Kutuzov
Frequent Contributor

I opened the account on july 3. Starting using it in beginning of August. My 90 days was on oct 3. I did changed the closing date, and onlr got 2 statements, after reading this I went ahead and rolled my dices .... CLI frr $800 to $1200, hey something is better than nothing! I use it on a daily bases and pay every week.
Gardening since 03/25/2016. Discover FICO 705 (4/21/16).
Discover It 2000, Barclay Ring 7100, Capital One QS 7000, Amazon sc 6000, Chase AARP 2500, Barclay Rewards 500
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If your lazy like me and don't want to bother using the calendar to figure out 91 days, here's a site that'll do the work for you:

http://www.timeanddate.com/date/dateadd.html

Just put in your account opening date, tell it how many days to add (91), and it will figure the exact date you can go for your CLI!

(I know I'm lazy... actually, I'm afraid I'd be off by a day... LOL)  Smiley Tongue

Where were you when I was counting and scrolling and scrolling and losing track and starting over...for my Amex 181 days? hahaha. Thanks.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.