Good luck!

Message 11 of 19
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: When to ask for CLIs / Strategies?

@Anonymous wrote:

When to ask for CLIs / Strategies?

@Anonymous wrote:

My scores are currrent EX 626, EQ623, and TU 645, mostly due to utilization on my old cards.  That will be under 30% in January, probably closer to 20%.

It's a twofold matter.  First, you need to be eligible based on the creditor's policies regarding timeframes for CLI's, if applicable.  Second, your credit and income have to qualify for the CLI.  For the latter, the time to ask is when your credit is in a shape where it gives you the headroom for a CLI.  If you have high utilization the time to request would be when you get your utilization down.  If you have other issues with your credit, the time to ask would be when those are addressed.  You can't rely soley on time.  No creditor simply hands out CLI's in exchange for time.  It's always a matter of one's credit profile and income versus the creditor's underwriting criteria.

@DU556 wrote:

that's weird that your Discover credit went up that quickly. I've had mine for 10 years this month and they barely increased my credit limit to $10,800.

Nothing weird about it.  Everyone's credit is not identical.  Don't assume that it's just the creditor and/or card that determines the limit/CLI.  One's credit profile and income play a major role in such things.

@damac2004 wrote:

when people mention calling on phone for cli, are the companies still running the pull on your credit?

Credit profile always matters.  A given method of requesting the CLI does not bypass consideration of one's credit.

@damac2004 wrote:

even with new income information, i was using most of the cards almost to maxed amount  and 2 different cards refused a cli so i backed off everything.  i guess their computer saw me as tapped out and didn't like it even though i have no lates, etc.? 

While income is a consideration and not having lates is a plus, revolving utilization is a signfiicant scoring and risk factor.  It falls under Amounts Owed below:

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx

and "almost maxed" will certainly be a problem.  You can get into trouble well before you're anywhere close to maxed.  Keep in mind that 30% is the generally suggested max.  However, that's far from ideal.  That's why revolving utilization is such a common topic here and why getting revolving utilization in check is the second recommendation after addressing derogs for anyone rebuilding credit.  If you're over 30% then get it down  Once you're to 30% work on getting it lower.  If you're not paying each statement balance in full then work on getting to where you are paying each in full.

@DU556 wrote:

I've also noticed my Amex points are garbage compared to miles from discover on Amazon.

1 dollar with Discover is worth 1 mile but with AMEX it's only worth .70

You should definitely work this stuff out before applying for any rewards card and especially for point/miles cards.  Redemption method definitely has a significant impact on point/mile value.  MR points are not fixed in value and there are certainly those that can attain higher point value.  Generally speaking, highest values tend to come from transferring to travel partners for premium international travel.  If you're redeeming for statement credits or merchandise then you may be better suited to cash back cards.

Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

DU556, thank you for the information. I have the cash back card, not the mileage. 

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried both Lowes and Amazon and it was a no go. I'll try again when I get down to 20-30% in January and I've had time to use them both and PIF a couple times. Maybe that will help.  

The only other issue I can see hurting me other than high utilization is a CO that is due to fall off in Oct 2016, but I thought that would not be too big of an issue since it is pretty old and it didn't prevent me from getting the cards in the first place.  I believe I can request that to be deleted off of Transunion about 6 months early so I will try that in April and maybe if just the lower utilization doesn't work on its own, that will.  I'm not in a big hurry, and not looking to cut corners, but of course I want to see the CLs increase so I'll keep trying.

Thanks again for the information you've all given me.

Message 14 of 19
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

everytime i think about apping for a new card, i just log into one of my cc accounts and ask for a CLI instead.

best advice i've heard is to grab credit when you don't need it.

because when you do, most likely you're in a rock and hard place and the creditors know it (and know they have you by the strings).

but it never hurts to ask..........

+ 1 ... And make sure your util % is low low low. That is the biggest factor in getting declined when requesting a cli or account(s) is too new, say you just got the card(s). But as always, ymmv. 

Message 15 of 19
DU556
Regular Contributor

I applied for an Amex card exactly a year ago this month and was approved even though I had a foreclosure that was scheduled to fall 3-4 months from then. I was approved. Is there other things that might be keeping you from not getting approved?

Message 16 of 19
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

shouldnt be difficult for you to get your util down. Wont matter as much after some CLI's. Get that synchrony amazon and lowes card UP UP UP it will help with your util.

amazon request CLI on chat now, ask for 25k. SP

Lowes have had most success in calling. U can be denied on the phone, but then ask for their UW team and get approved. SP

BOA I dont know, if it were me I would get my scores up a tad more and the util down, hope for a SP cli offer soon, and if not then take the HP in 6 months.

Discover I would be asking for a CLI every 60-90 days....they can be awesome. Our card went from 4k to 7 to 11 to 18 in just a matter of months.

Always be cheerful to the reps it can make a world of difference.

Discover cli CAN be done online, every 91 days.  They tend to do in 500 increments.  If not get, wait until your scores grow.  They will come around.  (I was denied cli on Dec 1st, given cli on Dec 7th).  They are that precise on the 90 day thing.

Signature needs updating
Message 17 of 19
DU556
Regular Contributor

When you attempt to do a CLI online for Discover, does it let you know if it is a hard pull? I know if you call they will let you know if it requires a HP or SP.

Message 18 of 19
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@DU556 wrote:

When you attempt to do a CLI online for Discover, does it let you know if it is a hard pull? I know if you call they will let you know if it requires a HP or SP.

Never faced that.  Online request, will just say can not increase CL at this time, mailed reason, not enough experience at current credit limit.

@Anonymous, nice scores btw.

Signature needs updating
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.