Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to ask for a CLI?

tag
eastexascout
Regular Contributor

When to ask for a CLI?

I have a basic Capital One card.  (limit 750)

I've been consistently paying on it, not in a huge rush to pay it off....

However, I need to get a little limit increase if possible.  I have about half it paid off right now and would like an increase.

Any thoughts?

"just trying to get my credit up..."
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Crossdivided
Established Contributor

Re: When to ask for a CLI?

I've heard 12 months for first cli then every 6-12 from there but that's not from actual experience
Message 2 of 5
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

cap one likes to see history. You will also need to get your unpaid balances down. They are way to high. As seen from the other side, it would appear you are starving for money and probably would not qualify for a cli.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 3 of 5
RSCo
Established Contributor

@eastexascout wrote:

However, I need to get a little limit increase if possible.  I have about half it paid off right now and would like an increase.

Any thoughts?

It would depend a lot on what particular Cap One CC product you have.. Some will not allow customer requested CLI's... 

I've had 2 Cap One CCs for 13 years.  One has a 500.00 CL and the other has a 300.00 CL..  I've never ever seen an increase.. They sit right where they were when they were open. I've tried a number of times to get them increased and I get sorry we do not accept CLI requests from customers on these AND sorry, you can only have 2 Cap One CCs ( not cap one issued store cards ) at any one time.  I have never ever been late with them, I pay the entire amount off every time I use them.. It does not seem to matter.. I even went to a local Cap One branch - where I also have a checking account - and met with the branch manager to discuss options. I've even had a 30k brokerage account with CapOne for the past 7 years and I also have another 141k sitting over at TRowe Price. I brought statements in from both of these accounts and she simply didn't care. I've never had one bad mark with them in the 13 yrs I've been with them.  The only issue I have on my credit report is a foreclosure from 2006 and 2 paid collections only TU only, both were for 100.00 hospital emergency room visits...

I finally sent a letter to the CEO last week with all of this AFTER applying for a Best Buy card - managed by Cap One - only to get the 7-10 day review window response..  I was so furious with them that I sent an email advising them I'm going to yank my 30k brokerage account away from them and they would never get my TRowe Price money and I would close my checking account.. For the life of me I have no idea what's wrong with them.. I received a call from the CEOs executive assistant 2 hours after sending my email.. The only thing she said was that she was going to submit my case to the underwriters for a manual review and I should hear something int he next 7-10 days on both my CC CL increases and my Best Buy app.

Hang in there.. Who knows what they will do. They seem to be all over the place with approvals and CLIs..

$30,500$18,500NPSL$15,000$10,000$25,000$32,000
Message 4 of 5
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@eastexascout wrote:

Any thoughts?

Skip CS and go straight to executive office when you've held the card for at least a year.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.