cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to call BoA back after being denied for Unsecure Upgrade?

tag
dalessandrct

When to call BoA back after being denied for Unsecure Upgrade?

Hey everyone,

Coming here from Credit Karma since no one really responds to you over there.

I've had my Bankamericard Secured ($500 limit) for over a year and a half, I called BoA to get it unsecured and was denied due to late school loan payments I just starting paying. They told me to call back later in the year once good payment history is shown on my credit report. What about of time do you think is sufficent to wait and call back without the risk of being denied again? I just don't want to call after 3 months and get denied if I should've wait 4 or 5 months.

-two months paid on school loans so far

-perfect history with bankamericard 1.5 years

-perfect history with car loan 9 months

Thanks for everyone's advice in advance!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
HiLine
Blogger

Re: When to call BoA back after being denied for Unsecure Upgrade?

How long ago were the missed payments?

Message 2 of 10
NewtoCredit80
Frequent Contributor

I would suggest that you should atleast wait for 6 months of clean payment history. After that you can apply for CapOne credit card which has less strict standards for unsecured credit card.

PNC Secured 2000 (Dec12), Chase Amazon 2000 (Apr13), CapOne Newcomer 2500 (May13), Citi dividend 3000 (May13), Discover IT 1000 (Jul13), Amex BCP 6000 (Jul13), Chase Southwest 10000 (Jul13), Chase Marriott 12000 (Oct 13), BofA Travel Rewards 5000 (Dec13)

- In garden till Dec 2014
Message 3 of 10
dalessandrct

I had missed 6-8 months due to my parents moving before the replayment start date and I never got any of the correspondence to start paying. They said they did their due diligence to contact me (no mail, no calls) and couldn't get the damage reversed. So I have everything in my name now and have made May and June payments.

Message 4 of 10
HiLine
Blogger

You have serious issues with your credit profile. You may want to take a look at other forums on this board to find out how to possibly remove those negative items from your report, or it may take years before you get approved for anything.

Message 5 of 10
dalessandrct

Direct Loans said they couldn't do anything. The loans were just transferred to MyFedLoans, maybe I'll have luck asking them? I was approaved for my car loan so its not impossible for me to get approved.

But as for the secured, I suppose i'll wait until the end of the year to do anything with it.

Message 6 of 10
enharu
Super Contributor

I would say give it until those lates are >3 years old to be absolutely safe. If not, you can always keep trying. Some people were able to get it some with >2 year old lates as well
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 7 of 10
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

In order for BOA to unsecure a card, you have to 12 months of perfect payment history  Once you do have that, call them back. 

If you want to attempt a reconn, call the number and ask to speak with the secured card dept or the credit dept. The secured card depart is opened 8-8 M-F and 8-10 M-F for the credit department.

Message 8 of 10
dalessandrct

Guyatthebeach, I stated in my original post that I've had my card a year and a half. I also stated that I spoke with them and was denied, hence, I called the secured department.

Message 9 of 10
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

Hey there! Sorry I should have been more clear on my comment. The bank likes to see perfect payment history on all open accounts. You indicated that you had 6 to 8 payments on your other loan. You didn't say if they were 30, 60, or 90 days past due. BOA will not automatically unsecure the card with any late payment history within the last 12/13 month period.

You can plead your case if you feel up to a reconn. Call the unsecured or credit department and ask to have your call escalated to team manager or escalations manager. The worst thing they can say is no.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.