Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to close rebuilding AF CC?

tag
jetsfan2013
Frequent Contributor

When to close rebuilding AF CC?

On a good note, I have had some pretty good progress in my credit rebuilding over the last 12-15 months, and before the annual fee comes around for 2 of my less than desirable starter cards kick in, I wanted to get some feedback on any cons of closing the following cards:

First National - $75 AF - 0 bal, dont carry or use the card but for a monthly netflix subscription. toy limit(350) which on 2 diff occasions CSR reps have said wont grow regardless. 1 yr mark in Sept

Show MC - $59 AF originally was 300, 4 months after having card moved via auto CLI to 550. Card does seem to have option to grow, as CSR rep told me around Christmas cards could go upwards to 1500. 1 yr mark in May

Cards established since both opened:

Amazon 600 Walmart 150 GE American Signature Furn 1000 

Cap One increased on prior established to 800 each.

Road to rebuilding starts soon
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

Re: When to close rebuilding AF CC?

I would get rid of them as soon as possible, especially the first one. They will still be on your report for up to 10 years but no reason to pay those fees. You have a few decent tradelines besides them. I would quit while you are ahead with them. They have served their purpose.

Message 2 of 6
enharu
Super Contributor

@jetsfan2013 wrote:

On a good note, I have had some pretty good progress in my credit rebuilding over the last 12-15 months, and before the annual fee comes around for 2 of my less than desirable starter cards kick in, I wanted to get some feedback on any cons of closing the following cards:

First National - $75 AF - 0 bal, dont carry or use the card but for a monthly netflix subscription. toy limit(350) which on 2 diff occasions CSR reps have said wont grow regardless. 1 yr mark in Sept

Show MC - $59 AF originally was 300, 4 months after having card moved via auto CLI to 550. Card does seem to have option to grow, as CSR rep told me around Christmas cards could go upwards to 1500. 1 yr mark in May

Cards established since both opened:

Amazon 600 Walmart 150 GE American Signature Furn 1000 

Cap One increased on prior established to 800 each.

try calling them to have them waive the AF as well.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 6
scientifics
Frequent Contributor

I would call first and see if you can get the AF waived, if not, I would close the AF cards (or at least the one that won't grow).

Message 4 of 6
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

The most basic advice I'll give (from my experience)....

When the day comes, and you open your wallet...the first thought you have is "why am I paying all these fees?!?!?!"...it's time.

I'd try for a CLI on your wally, and amazon, then eventually every card that matches the increase (gradually of course), you can kill off a fee card with the increase compensation without hurting your utilization. Keep at least 3 real cc's reporting though, for max points.

Message 5 of 6
jetsfan2013
Frequent Contributor

Thanks. I did call and they(First National) wont budge on the AF. They brought up a chance to look at a CLI, but I cant justify paying 75/yr for something I dont use or need at this point.

The GEMB cards I just got, and will wait till month 4-5 to look for some CLI luv.

Road to rebuilding starts soon
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.