Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to close your old secured card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

In January 2012, I opened a Capital One Secured Card to help rebuild my damaged credit (scores were low 500s). Well it did just that... Today I am standing with a score of 700 across my 3 Fico scores. No negative reporting since late 2010.

I have recently aquired new accounts with Amex (2 cards) and Barclays with no problem. 

My questions is should I close my secured card because I no longer need it or does the AAofA (39 months old) in fact HELP my score? However the limit is low, $750/balance 0.

Please let me know your thoughts!!! Thank you.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

Re: When to close your old secured card?

close the card get your money back. It will NOT hurt your AAOA the card will stay on your report for up to ten years. Congrats on getting the other cards!

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

which secured card is it
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

If zero annual fee do not close it .
Message 4 of 8
Cookie2120987
Frequent Contributor

It's a capitol one secured, it has a non waive able annual fee. Close and get your money refunded. I'm going to be doing that in November
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

$39 AF

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have recently aquired new accounts with Amex (2 cards) and Barclays with no problem. 

You obviously no longer need it for any reason other than nostalgia...nostalgia that is costing you $39 a year

Of course, I shouldn't be giving you advice because I still have 2 of my Capital One's for no real reason other than nostalgia...costing me $80 a year.

Message 7 of 8
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Given that general advice is at least 2-3 cards for scoring purposes, I'd recommend closing secured cards once one has at least 2-3 unsecured cards and the secured card is otherwise no longer needed as well.

@Anonymous wrote:

My questions is should I close my secured card because I no longer need it or does the AAofA (39 months old) in fact HELP my score?

AAoA isn't immediately impacted by closing.  Don't overlook the stickies.  This thread in linked in the Helpful Threads sticky.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=creditcard&thread.id=117125&jump=true

@Anonymous wrote:
If zero annual fee do not close it .

Despite how often this is repeated here it's up to each to determine if AF/no AF is a deciding factor.  It is not for all people.  One should consider much more than just the AF when applying and determining whether or not to close a card.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.